DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some irrigation installed. The installer cut through a 220 in ground line. They said it would be ok to splice it and put silicone around it. I'm concerned about the safety since the line is connected to an outlet in a detached garage that contains 2 kilns that run on the 220 circuit. The garage is about 50 feet from the house. Is it safe to splice the wire in three places in the manner described above? Should another line be run within conduit? Will splicing effect the amperage?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of wire

In answer to your question regarding the type of wire and whether it was buried directly in the ground: the type of wire is Rouond NM-B cable, AWG 10-3 w/ ground, non-metalic sheathed cable. The cable was originally in a conduit pipe. The person who was making the repair did not put it back into conduit. Should the wiring be re-run? Thank you for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
16,316 Posts
Type NM-B is not rated for use outside or underground. It should not have been installed and should be replaced.

Since you have conduit this may not be that hard to fix by installing THWN conductors after patching the conduit.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
It should be their responsibility to repair the conduit. NO question. DO NOT simply splice it outside the conduit.

It should then be your responsibility to replace the NM-B cable with the proper outdoor cable or conductors.

It's only 50'. That is not that big of a deal.

Reactions: J. V.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
220 in ground spliced wiring

I had a feeling that something wasn't right. Just so I'll know when the next licensed electrician (yes, the electrician that ran the line was licensed) what type of wire should be used for a 220 outlet in ground? Should conduit be used irregardless of the type of wire? I live in Florida in an area with very high degree of lightning strikes. I was wondering if it would be safer with conduit. Thanks for the information. Although I'm a consumer, I've learned that I have to be somewhat knowledgeable or this kind of thing happens:no:

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I had a feeling that something wasn't right. Just so I'll know when the next licensed electrician (yes, the electrician that ran the line was licensed) what type of wire should be used for a 220 outlet in ground? Should conduit be used irregardless of the type of wire? I live in Florida in an area with very high degree of lightning strikes. I was wondering if it would be safer with conduit. Thanks for the information. Although I'm a consumer, I've learned that I have to be somewhat knowledgeable or this kind of thing happens:no:
First off, there is no certain wire for a "220 outlet". I know this is a generalization, but I just want to clear this fact up.

Second, are you SURE it is NM-B and not UF? They look amazingly alike, especially when filthy.

Reactions: J. V. and plummen

·
Master Electrician
1,165 Posts
our underground wire up here is labelled nmwu for the most part. It's almost identical to regular nm except for a little thicker exterior rubber. It's generally black in color and indoor is generally white. You can incase it in conduit but it's not necessary although it will affect the depth it needs to be buried at. Personally if your going to run a conduit then do as the others have suggested and run thwn single conductors. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Splicing 220 wire

I don't really understand everything you all said completely, however I will keep the information so that I can refer to it when the worker comes back this week. I really appreciate the advice thank you for your time and expertise.:thumbsup:

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
How deep was this buried?

·
Super Moderator
16,316 Posts
Normal burial depth would be 12" if GFI protected and 20 amps or less, or 18".

Reactions: Code05

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
First of all .,

I know you mention electrician but to bury that conductor only 6 inches deep that is not the legal way to do this.

A good electrician will stop right there and talk to you to change to proper conductor or UF cable.

In the conduit ( pipe ) the UF cable is allowed but it will be a bear to pull thru the conduit unless it is seriously oversized the most common methold is use the THHN / THWN conductors.

I did catch one part that you say kilns in there so therefore by the code you will defentally need a subpanel in the garage so per the NEC code you can have single MWBC ( Multi Wire Branch Circuit ) or single circuit but nothing more than that as I mention.

For the depth I know this is more than just a standard 20 amp circuit so bury the conduit minum of 18 inches deep or if you have UF then it will kick to 24 inch deep.

I think there is something more going on here with this set up what you have now.

If possible to post the photo then we can able assit you more on this matter.

As you mention the electrician buried 6 inches deep that part there is NO way a good electrician will do this at all ( I am not suprised if unliscensed handyperson done that and not follow the code at all that is typical which I get it pretty often either side of USA or in France )

Merci,
Marc

·
retired elect/hvac/plumb
2,921 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
So happy I insist on having all my buried electrical cable 24" below grade in conduit. So much easier having it out of the way. If the OP probably did not tell the irigation contractor about the feed and it was too shallow I don't understand how they can blame him.

Reactions: plummen
1 - 18 of 18 Posts