DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently (end of January 2021) purchased Benjamin Moore's Natura paint for my toddler's room. We picked this paint because multiple websites (not sure if sponsored) assured us that it is was a non-toxic, zero VOC, and zero smell paint. We had a short window of opportunity to repaint our son's room and given that it was a fast drying paint, we decided to use it. Unfortunately, we are not a happy customer. The PAINT DOES SMELL and it has not gone away for the past 2 weeks. We have both windows wide open with a Dyson HEPA air purifier going 24/7 since it was painted. We also read that you can put bowls of vinegar around the room, use baking soda, and even onion (yes, we were that desperate!) to help neutralize the smell. To no avail, nothing seems to be working! I contacted Benjamin Moore to see if they have had any bad batches (apparently, they recalled a bunch of Natura paint per the thread above), and if they have any solutions. After mentioning everything we've tried to get rid of the smell, the rep kept repeating that "all paint smells, and some people are more sensitive to it" and that "we should keep the window open and have a fan going." Thanks for the useless tips! We've been doing that and more for the past 2 weeks, and the smell is still there and isn't getting any better! We even had others smell the room and they all agree it smells like paint. We do not feel comfortable putting our son in the room with this smell. He is not sleeping well because he is in our room and we desperately want to get him back into his room. It looks like the only option we have is to sand the room and repaint it with another paint. Never buying Benjamin Moore paint again! Terrible customer service and useless solutions. In hindsight, I should have known better to not only google search for no smell paint, but also read the reviews. After seeing the reviews on this forum, I know that I am not "just more sensitive" as the rep accused me.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Every Benjamin Moore retailer is independently owned. You have a bad store, and a bad rep. Natura is pricey AF. It shouldnt smell, but just because it smells doesnt mean theres harmful fumes. If BM doesnt want to take care of you, try some Harmony for Sherwin. Put a coat of that over it.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Agree that it’s a bad response from the BM rep. What he should do is come to your home and at least assess what’s going on. A fresh set of eyes (nose in this case) may catch something else going on. It’s not unusual for fumes to linger in curtains, carpet, etc. Maybe the room has a high humidity level. Even with a window open, there could be poor ventilation. Lots to consider but if no one from BM is going to make an effort, well, whatya do?

Today’s paints act a whole lot different than the paint from 5-10 years ago. Formulas have changed. Curing takes up to a month. Different colorants are used. All these things can add up to big problems for someone susceptible to certain smells.

I know you’ve used an air purifier. I don’t know if that’s considered an ionizer or not, but some people claim an ionizer has helped alleviate the smell.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
One other thing to think about. I’m not sure about BM’s colorants but SW’s colorants (the pigments used to create the paint color) are NOT low odor like the base is. So, if you have a deep, dark color it contains a LOT of pigment which might not be low odor. Don’t take that as gospel as I don’t use BM paint very often.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've never used Natura, but I find the smell of Benjamin Moore's other latex paints to be mild and inoffensive. It does linger for a few days, but as Gymshu says, that's because it takes a few weeks to fully cure.

Of course, what I find mild and inoffensive might smell chokingly horrible to someone else... so it could be that no matter what you paint with, you'll dislike the odor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts