DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i try and put gas in my Fiesta the pump shouts off quick takes a long time to get gas in car? Tried other pumps and does the same .Please help.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,499 Posts
There are a couple reasons this could be happening. Sometimes it can be a pump nozzle or the angle it's set in the filler neck, but happening at multiple stations it's probably your car.

- Air is not being allowed to escape from the tank. Normally, the air travels through a separate hose (connected to the filler tube) to an evap canister where the fumes are deposited into activated charcoal prior to release. This tube can be blocked or the canister is not purging. Oftentimes, "topping off" the tank will eventually lead to this when gas goes down this tube.

- Some Fords have anti-siphon caps, I have read about problems there with Edges, but unfamiliar with Fiestas.

Google "year Fiesta pumping gas problems" and surely you'll get some hits to decide if you need to go to a shop. There are some websites dedicated to Fiesta STs.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Is the check engine light on?

This video explains the most common reason for your problem.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
What is that?
932 Posts
Vent valves are usually the problem. I have had the valve at the end of the fill hose attached to the tank screw up. On some vehicles there is a spring loaded flap there, or a spring loaded ball there to keep the fuel from going up hose on hard take off or a steep incline. Basically a roll over valve. They get stuck and won't let fuel enter the tank. I inform the customer that Tank/valve needs to be changed. They always go with "Is there something else you can do? I don't want to put that much money into it" I say "Yeah. I cant knock the valve into tank but you need to sign a waiver so if you get into an accident and fire erupts because the valve isn't there, I'm not liable." 9 times out of 10 they repair the vehicle.:vs_cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

Here's what i did for this car. I took off the hose at the Evap canister (Pic 1) and was able to blow air through the Vent valve (pic 3) with my mouth so i figure that the valve is open and working, So i Blew air with compressor through the Canister and Now i am able to put Gas in the car? Question ? Do you think this is a permanent fix or it will do it again? And since the Vent Valve seems to be working ,is it the Canister then?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would replace the canister if it happens again, but not before unless I smelled gas.

·
What is that?
932 Posts
Vent valves get dirty as they are usually toward the rear of vehicle but not always. You probably blew the dust/dirt out of the valve and/or canister. If it happens again, replace both.:vs_cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts