DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The house is your typical Florida home with a bonus room (18'x23') vaulted/angled ceiling room.

The house (2500sq ft) has one 5 ton heating/ac unit outside and the air handler is located inside a the bonus room closet. The room seems to be fine with heating during the winters we have here as heat rises but its the cooling that seems to make this room 10-15 degrees hotter that the downstairs. On a hot day while the A/C is running the room is fine...but it doesn't take long for the room to feel hot when it kicks off.

Several months ago I had all of the duct work redone routed better for efficiency and added three new return ducts because there was only two prior. One large one for the entire downstairs and one medium sized one for the bonus room. We now have four return ducts downstairs and the same medium one in the bonus room.

The house does blow some seriously cold air much more efficient than it has. Happy about this.

But my next step is to address this insulation issue. I've never had a professional look at it but its my opinion that this is a problem I have and I want to address it.

It's not like the bonus room or the rest of the house doesn't have insulation in the attic, its there..it's just not doing the job properly. The attic floor has the white blown in fiber (looks like cotton) insulation now.

What steps should I take to address this and how would you go about fixing this?

Spray foam the bonus room outside walls?
Put in new insulation on the outside walls in bonus room?
Add new insulation in the entire attic floor with much more insulation?
What brand/kind of insulation would you use for walls versus floors?

Should I remove all of the old stuff and start fresh? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Is your bonus room wide open to your downstairs? If it is closed off you could add a separate unit like a mini split

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s just like any other upstairs except it’s just one big room.

I’ve considered the mini split but that still doesn’t address how inefficient the insulation is.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
You said:
"Spray foam the bonus room outside walls? Are these half walls with side attics?
Add new insulation in the entire attic floor with much more insulation?" Clarify attic floor? Isn't that the bonus room floor? Not getting a clear picture of what you have?

I'm picturing a ranch with a large empty attic and you are calling that a bonus room??

Bud

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said:
"Spray foam the bonus room outside walls? Are these half walls with side attics?
Add new insulation in the entire attic floor with much more insulation?" Clarify attic floor? Isn't that the bonus room floor? Not getting a clear picture of what you have?

I'm picturing a ranch with a large empty attic and you are calling that a bonus room??

Bud
You must not live in Florida. It’s basically a single story house with a single room placed pretty much in the middle/center of the house.

Three of those bonus room walls are in attic space. One wall has a large window and the only wall that does not have access to the attic.

The attic floor is basically the downstairs ceiling in the attic, so when your in the attic it’s the floors that have blown in insulation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts