DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 200 amp service. I have a 200 amp three phase panel. The new service is not three phase. Can I hook up the 200 amp two phase service to a 200 amp three phase panel? Would I use the the two outer poles of the 200 amp three phase main breaker? Thanks

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
You could but why??? You will be losing 1/3 of your panel space.

Just get a single phase panel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trying to cut money I understand what you are saying, but the panel has plenty of space. Am I right on how it is hooked up though? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i guess it wouldn't matter which pole you hook kit up on....you'll lose 1/3 of your spaces, just as Petey said....but WHY??????...you are saving what.....150 bucks:laughing:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
why??????

Because he already has the panel. Some people don't have 150.00 but have the material.
Times are tough.

·
7,829 Posts
Sorry sultini. Some of us want to do the right thing regardless of $150.
I'd rather not do the job than hack it up for $100 savings.

If you can't afford the material don't do the job.

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
I agree with Petey as well; do it right the first time.

If you use two of the phases of a 3 phase panel, sooner or later someone is going to install a breaker into one of the dead slots. Their solution will almost certainly be to jumper the dead phase to one of the hot ones. The net result will be;

A) An overloaded neutral on a multi-wire branch circuit. The chances of this causing a burn-up or even worse, a fire, is actually pretty good. Not worth the risk.

B) A lot of current on the service neutral. If the service is underground, the POCO neutral is likely two sizes smaller than the hots. It isn't designed to carry lots of current for extended periods of time. If it burns up, roughly 1/2 of the equipment in the building will be destroyed. If the POCO finds out you have a 3 phase panel connected to a single phase service (they will, believe me!), they will refuse to pay for any damage.

Can you get just the interior for your panel? Most panels have the same mounting for both single and 3 phase interiors.

If not, I'd get the single phase panel, even though it would be an extra cost.

Rob

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Agreed with brian0075

I agree the job should be done right and SAFE the first time, However all you folks agreed with Brian 0075 in the posts that what he requested he could use now your all jumping on me for a minor comment.
Let me take you all back to when you were real young and just starting out with 0 money but you wanted to improve your life and just happened to have something you could use SAFELY and it would improve your property. You used it don't deny it. You know you did get back to reality and common sense safely.
If he couldn't use it you should have said so right off the bat but you all stated he could.

·
7,829 Posts
Sorry, this is not a court of law. It is not as black and white as you want to make it out to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. I do understand about lossing 1/3 of the panel just trying to save a little. It is hard times and trying to improve. But I see what you are saying, Thanks.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
I agree the job should be done right and SAFE the first time, However all you folks agreed with Brian 0075 in the posts that what he requested he could use now your all jumping on me for a minor comment.
Let me take you all back to when you were real young and just starting out with 0 money but you wanted to improve your life and just happened to have something you could use SAFELY and it would improve your property. You used it don't deny it. You know you did get back to reality and common sense safely.
If he couldn't use it you should have said so right off the bat but you all stated he could.
The way I read things.. all that was said is that.. " if ".. you know what your doing it could be done but I also read it wouldn't be safe. Simply answering his question. I do not see one comment that says to use that 3 phase panel.

So let me say this to Brian...."If you use that three phase panel put your stupid hat on"......:)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I don't care how young or poor you are, it's no excuse to do schitty work. Do not install a 3 phase panel on a single phase service.

If the panel is new, some contractor would trade you in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Wouldn't

I don't care how young or poor you are, it's no excuse to do schitty work. Do not install a 3 phase panel on a single phase service.

If the panel is new, some contractor would trade you in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't install it that's for sure.
You got a speeling problem????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts