DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.i was wondering where I might be able to buy a 200 amp box without the main breaker.I'm putting a new service in my house,and istalling a 200 amp main shut off outside.I've checked the big home improvement stores with no luck.I might just have to install one with a main,if that's not breaking any codes.I can get a square D for $94 with the main and a few other breakers.Any suggestions? Thanks for the input

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
You should have no problem finding a main lug panel.

It is not against code to install a main breaker with an outside disconnet, but you still need to treat it as a subpanel.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
You should have no issue find one with main lug verison.

The big box store not always stock them in 200 amp size so if not you can order them otherwise electrique supply centre will have them on hand.

Just make sure you run this set up as 4 conductor set up which it will have hot , hot , netural and ground the typical cable most big box store will stock is SER cable { not all will stock it } and also pay attetion to the conductor size espcally after the main breaker I know some area may allow to use the 120mm² { 4/0 AWG } alum cable otherwise some may mention 95mm² { 3/0 AWG } { this I mention is alum cable the copper will be one size smaller } so check it out as well.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies.The electric company came out to check things out .Decided to do the main disconnect just to make things easier fo r everyone .We did my sons house last fall didn't do an outside disconnect.I know most places require it ,but we live in rural Kansas .They even let you pull your own meter .just have to call them and let them know

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
"Most places require an outside disconnect."

I don't why you think that. It simply isn't true. I have one, but only because my panel is at the opposite end of the house from the meter.

If you had found an MLO panel, you might've been surprised to find them more expensive than ones with a main breaker.

·
Mad Scientist
951 Posts
Yeah, I'd just use a main-breaker panel if you can get it, they frequently are cheaper as md2lgyk says. Nothing wrong codewise with having two disconnects. The outside disconnect will still be your service disconnect, so the inside panel still gets wired as a subpanel with 4-wire feed and separate ground and neutral bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again ,thanks for the replies.Guess I'll just go with a breaker box.
I've been doing a total remodel on my home.Has the old knob and tube wiring.I've been rewiring as I go .It will be nice to get changed over,but we've been it this house for 30 years and have had no problems,so the old wiring may have out lasted me,but I want to run a line out to my shop,for my welder and air compressor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts