DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am remodeling my sons room his Grandmother was kind enough to purchase him a set of bunk beds, however there was a ceiling fan that I needed to replace with a light else he would get hit in the head with a the fan. His room was too small to relocate the fan. The fan was controlled by a switch on the wall. When I pulled the fan down I noticed that it was being fed by a #14 with a black, white and copper that was a constant hot. There was also a #14 with a Black, Red, White and copper. I think the 3 way wire goes to the switch, I know the normal wire does not because it has power if the switch is up or down. I would like to use what is there if possible, does anyone have any suggestion on how I would make this work safely?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out yesterday, or I should say I found the answer. I wired it as if the red wire was not there, just using the other three, ground, power and neutral. I wired it as if it were an end of the run light and adding a switch. Took me a while but it works, there is not power coming from the red line at any time and the switch works the light.

Thanks for the response anyways!

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi jack how are you and i think you must be check your sons room to good electration he should give you the most suit able suggestion and according to me you should hang the fan on wall and the wire of fan is of good quality and must be fixed with a wall.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hi jack how are you and i think you must be check your sons room to good electration he should give you the most suit able suggestion and according to me you should hang the fan on wall and the wire of fan is of good quality and must be fixed with a wall.

Ehhhhhh, what?

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
I like your idea of hanging a 42" ceiling fan on the wall.:laughing:

·
Registered
197 Posts
arash1 said:
LOL "according to me"

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
I knew I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Hi,

I am remodeling my sons room his Grandmother was kind enough to purchase him a set of bunk beds, however there was a ceiling fan that I needed to replace with a light else he would get hit in the head with a the fan. His room was too small to relocate the fan. The fan was controlled by a switch on the wall. When I pulled the fan down I noticed that it was being fed by a #14 with a black, white and copper that was a constant hot. There was also a #14 with a Black, Red, White and copper. I think the 3 way wire goes to the switch, I know the normal wire does not because it has power if the switch is up or down. I would like to use what is there if possible, does anyone have any suggestion on how I would make this work safely?

Thanks
Brian
I know you figured it out (the right way, it seems), but just to shed some light on why it was wired the way it was: It was set up for separate fan and light controls. The red wire was not intended for use with a 3-way switch, but as the second switch leg to control the lights on a fan/light combo. The white wire in that 14/3 would have been connected to the constant hot in the ceiling box (and re-marked black at both ends, hopefully), then two switches in the wall box would connect the white constant hot to the black and red switch leg wires to control the fan and lights. If it's a single gang box with only one switch in it and the red wire was unused, then it was included as a spare for a future installation of a single-gang combined fan/light control.

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Super Moderator
14,264 Posts
I knew I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

Kyle, I loved that movie but figured your line would have been "I want every light poured out on that field"

·
Super Moderator
14,264 Posts
I like your idea of hanging a 42" ceiling fan on the wall.:laughing:
But it does make it hard to get the 7' of clearance from the floor. :eek:

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
You caught the reference :thumbsup:
That is a great movie.
And Leon's getting larger
Surely you must be joking

·
Super Moderator
14,264 Posts
Here is Leon now.

There's a problem in the cockpit
What's that?
A small room at the front of the plane.

Maybe that post about the fan on the wall needed to be translated? Stewardess, I speak jive.

Reactions: clashley
1 - 17 of 17 Posts