DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new (last Oct.) Trane furnace is a "2 stage" furnace but it's running with my old thermostat. should I invest in a 2 stage thermostat or just leave it?

tnx,

·
Administrator
41,865 Posts
2 stage thermostat.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 stage thermostat.

well,"beenthere", there are probably people from back when you joined this forum who're still trying to figure out what in "blazes" you were trying to tell 'em! :eek: is this because us "lowly" DIY'ers don't rate wasted words?

tnx,

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I think it was perfectly clear.

You gave him 2 choices (new 2 stage thermostat or just leave it). He said one of the choices. If you want a book or a symphony, just ask for a complete and possibly verbose dissertation.

You can talk all day about the details and features of a 2 stage thermostat, but without even identifying the furnace ( model number, capacity, efficiency and application to your housing situation) it would mean little. Why would you want "wasted" words if they do not apply?

Dick

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
2 stage tstat will work a bit better than a 1 stage. 1 stage uses a timed on setup in the circuit board to switch to high fire, usually between 7-10 minutes. 2 stage stat will go to high fire when the house temp drops more than 1 deg from when it started ( ie 2 deg F) and will keep it on low fire longer resulting in more comfort/lower fuel bills (more efficient when running longer/steady state efficiency). You need an extra wire to the stat and a Trane tech to flip the appropriate dip switches on the control board to make it work unless you have the install manual and some electrical knowledge/skills.

I can be verbose and dissertate all day long.:laughing:

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Yuri, where were you last week, when I was trying to set up our new thermostat. Got a 3m-50, due to currently laid up due to neck issues, until Surgery next month. It took me four days to get it correct with the differential setting for Heat and Cold settings, and finding out that the efficient setting is too long for my home, due to no insulation in the walls. Talk about a learning curve with these new toys.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
As the Senior tech in my company I get to setup and play with all the latest greatest new toys/systems. Mostly they scare the heck out of the lazy unmotivated parts changin techs so I get the clean interesting jobs and let them change dirty old heat exchangers etc. Not a bad gig.:thumbsup: The best techs can read a electrical schematic/ladder diagram as easy as a comic book. Most don't have the logic skills or motivation to get real good at it. I installed a nice zoning system and can hookup one for you (along with a nice modulating furnace).:thumbup:

http://www.lennox.com/products/comfort-controls/Harmony III/

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
We have the Lennox Signature Series, so the new thermostat is a new addition. If I had a bigger house, the Harmony would defiantly be a plus. Gadgets like that is what keeps the techs in business.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
The technology works VERY well if you have PROPERLY sized ductwork. We have a new XC17 and XC 21 SEER series AC that can be hooked up to Lennox supplied solar panels (Sun Source energy system) that can power the condensor fan motor when it is sunny outside. The condensor fan motor is now a variable speed high efficient ECM motor. Waiting for the transfer panel and system and approval to sell the excess power back to the grid. Guess who is going to get to hookup and make that system work. Moi/Me.:yes:

We sold one to a rich lawyer who wanted nothin but the best for his daughters house. Fujitsu has VERY high tech and incredibly efficient 21 SEER minisplits with DC inverter ECM compressors. Great technology but only for the highly skilled techs.

http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/SunSource_Home_Energy_System.pdf

·
Administrator
41,865 Posts
The technology works VERY well if you have PROPERLY sized ductwork. We have a new XC17 and XC 21 SEER series AC that can be hooked up to Lennox supplied solar panels (Sun Source energy system) that can power the condensor fan motor when it is sunny outside. The condensor fan motor is now a variable speed high efficient ECM motor. Waiting for the transfer panel and system and approval to sell the excess power back to the grid. Guess who is going to get to hookup and make that system work. Moi/Me.:yes:

We sold one to a rich lawyer who wanted nothin but the best for his daughters house. Fujitsu has VERY high tech and incredibly efficient 21 SEER minisplits with DC inverter ECM compressors. Great technology but only for the highly skilled techs.

http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/SunSource_Home_Energy_System.pdf

Those are very expensive panels, since they each have an inverter in them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts