DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install a 40A sub-panel for my garage that will carry 16A 240v dedicated outlet, 120v lighting and 120v receptacle loads. Can I use the "70 Amp 2 space, 4 circuit" model available? Frankly I don't see how you could get 4 regular circuits out unless you double up on the breaker in the 2 spaces. Any recommendations?

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I am planning to install a 40A sub-panel for my garage that will carry 16A 240v dedicated outlet, 120v lighting and 120v receptacle loads. Can I use the "70 Amp 2 space, 4 circuit" model available? Frankly I don't see how you could get 4 regular circuits out unless you double up on the breaker in the 2 spaces. Any recommendations?
Yes, DO NOT use such a small panel.

The "2 space, 4 circuit" designation means the panel has only two breaker slots, but you can use twin/skinny/tandem breakers to get 4 circuits. This is WAY to small to do anything reasonable with. Typically these are just used as disconnect boxes for one 240V circuit. IMO get an 8/16 panel or bigger. This will let you at least have some flexibility for future expansion and a bit of working room.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,013 Posts
Great thanks. Just ordered it. Juice for the car will soon be flowing.

16 amps for an electric car charger? you ought to go larger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts