DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fixture with a bulb that broke off inside of it. There's very little to grab ahold of to unthread the bulb... does anyone have a trick for this?

Second:
While installing a GFI outlet, I noticed on the plastic of the outlet, on the front of the outlet, it says 15A and it also says 20A... my question is this: is it a 20 amp or a 15 amp outlet? Can someone tell me what these markings mean?

thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Almost all GFI receptacles are configured as 15 amp, that is two straight slots no side slot but are rated as 20 amp pass through. They may be used on 15 or 20 amp circuits but 20 amp plugs will not work in these receptacles.

I generally use the handle end of a screwdriver to remove broken bulbs by inserting the handle and turning if that doesn't work use a small screwdriver to pry the base away from the socket far enough to grip with a pair of needle nose and turn the base out. Be sure power if off.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
A 15A receptacle of any kind is rated at 20A 'pass through.'

When I have broken off a bulb in a socket I have (after turning off the power) taken needle nose pliers and turned/twisted the socket base out. It's very soft aluminum so usually it bends/breaks. Just keep twisting it and it will come out.

·
liscenced electrician
1,018 Posts
the old wives trick for getting a broken socket out is a half a patatoe pushed against it....... never tried it. ive always gotten them out with needle nose and lots of twist and prying

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
the old wives trick for getting a broken socket out is a half a patatoe pushed against it....... never tried it. ive always gotten them out with needle nose and lots of twist and prying
I tried the half a potato thing once. I all I got for my trouble was potato ground into the scocket.:laughing:

Oh, snap ring pliers work great too. They press on the inside of the socket when you squeeze them, then the socket just twists out.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think a carrot would give you more torque than a stubby potato for a stubborn bulb stem.
Just not sure if you would use a #3 carrot or a #2 carrot:laughing:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I tried the half a potato thing once. I all I got for my trouble was potato ground into the scocket.:laughing:

Oh, snap ring pliers work great too. They press on the inside of the socket when you squeeze them, then the socket just twists out.
Next time try a raw potato instead of mashed.:jester:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts