DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring up a 208 volt air handler in my attic I'm interrupting the 12-3 coming in and putting a toggle switch for a means of disconnect does it have to be a two-pole switch or can I make it a single pole switch and splic through one of the other hots thank you?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If it's an "air conditioning disconnect" as required by Code, then you bet your bippy it has to be 2-pole. The whole point is to de-energize equipment so the air conditioner guy can stick his clumsy thumbs all over the works.

In fact, air conditioners are extra special in that they don't allow to put a locking device on the breaker instead of a line-of-sight switch. Most other loads do... I guess the A/C repairmen have a good lobby :)

As far as 12-3, nobody ever regretted running a neutral they didn't need, but precious few air conditioning units actually want the neutral. If your line of thinking is "A/C repairman's receptacle" you can't have a receptacle on a circuit with hardwired loads accounting for more than 50% of circuit ampacity. If your air conditioning unit's instructions allow for a cord-and-plug connection, I suppose you could put a NEMA 6-20 plug on it - a 12/3 MWBC could be wired with both a 6-20 and 5-20 receptacle on it.

·
Master Electrician
4,603 Posts
Should say “line “ and “load” on the back of the switch or on the box the switch came in.

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
The OP should have a DPST switch, not a 3way.

Reactions: joe-nwt

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
208 means you have 3 phase service at your house? Is the air handler single or 3 phase?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The air handler is 208 single phase. Just looking for what color screws on what side the red/black line and load wires attach to. Ty

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
Use a $10 AC pull-out disconnect and interrupt both hots

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: seharper

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I didn't know they were that cheap shudder but rjniles has the right idea IMO.

2-pole switches rated for that kind of current are more money than that.

Not least, it looks like a disconnect, so the air conditioner service man will instantly recognize it as a disconnect, instead of complaining that your installation isn't compliant.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
I didn't know they were that cheap shudder but rjniles has the right idea IMO.

2-pole switches rated for that kind of current are more money than that.

Not least, it looks like a disconnect, so the air conditioner service man will instantly recognize it as a disconnect, instead of complaining that your installation isn't compliant.

$9.25 at the Depot

·
Licenced Electrician
370 Posts
The air handler is 208 single phase. Just looking for what color screws on what side the red/black line and load wires attach to. Ty
Typically the 2 black screws would be line and the 2 brass screws load. But in the absence of any markings for such, you should use an ohmmeter and verify.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts