DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it acceptable per code for me to have 1/2 inlet and outlet pipes on a water heater? Also, is it acceptable, albeit not smart to not have a floor drain in a room ion which the hot water tank is located? Theses are existing conditons of the home. Updating them would be difficult and costly. Thinking about making the water heater a tankless one.

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Brokenhammer---give us a clue as to your location--codes vary---

---Mike---

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Some body will answer--we have a lot of folks from Canada--some from Australia--Sweden--Germany and a whole punch from India, Pakistan and the Philippines--( although the last few mostly are selling Spam at wonderful prices):laughing:

·
Premium Member
11,958 Posts
Is it acceptable per code for me to have 1/2 inlet and outlet pipes on a water heater? Also, is it acceptable, albeit not smart to not have a floor drain in a room ion which the hot water tank is located? Theses are existing conditons of the home. Updating them would be difficult and costly. Thinking about making the water heater a tankless one.

Thanks!
More important then the connection size, is the fixtures being served with hot water. If the pipes serving the fixtures are properly sized, 1/2" is fine.
Floor drains are not required for me, but I do need to have the discharge from the pan and T&P piped individually to an approved receptacle or to the exterior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts