DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Renovating My Land Yacht
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a J box in the ceiling with a run out that was supposed to be for one light originally. Switch is wired correctly and this works as of now with one fixture.

I want to add a second light. Both would be controlled by the one switch.

Is the image below correct in how to run the wiring so that I have power to light one and from light one to light 2. I was planning on using the pancake boxes.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,874 Posts
I have a J box in the ceiling with a run out that was supposed to be for one light originally. Switch is wired correctly and this works as of now with one fixture.

I want to add a second light. Both would be controlled by the one switch.

Is the image below correct in how to run the wiring so that I have power to light one and from light one to light 2. I was planning on using the pancake boxes.

Thanks
That will work, however, the boxes are not large for the extra wire.
Pancake boxes can usually on handle one cable.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the pancake boxes you plan to use are metal, I believe you will need to bond the ground wire to them also.

Also, rather than than using a pancake box for the first appearance after the switch, you might want to use this one. There is more room for wires, and you won't need to bond the ground wire:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19841-427-7120___?productId=1057119&pl=1&Ntt=ceiling+fixture+box

I'm not a pro, and I'm sure the pro's here can give you more definite information.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
In the ceiling? Might. Be easier to just use plastic old work octagon boxes, easy to use, plenty of room for connections. Ron

·
Renovating My Land Yacht
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I looked at the pancake boxes this morning and I swear they shrunk overnight. Got the octagon ones, and yes much more room. Done and Dusted whoo hoo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts