DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any old work boxes that are 2 inches deep? The closest I can find is 1-1/4" but that is not enough room. More than 2 inches would be too much. I haven't looked at the conductive type yet so maybe they have more sizes for the metal boxes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it has to be a little less than 2 inches. 2 inches is about 1/4in too big. And a shallow box won't work because it doesn't have the fin to hold it against the sheet rock. It just has screw holes which don't hold it in the wall because the hole for the box was made slightly too large (how it was when I bought the house).

·
Licensed electrician
13,408 Posts
Use an old work 1900 box with a plaster ring.

·
Licensed electrician
13,408 Posts
The box linked to is too small to even use with one 14-2 cable and a device.

·
Licensed electrician
13,408 Posts
A 1900 box is 4 inches square. You use a plaster ring to make it a single or double gang box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The interior walls of my house are only 2.5inches thick. the distance from the face of the wall to the back of the other drywall is 2.5-drywall thickness leaves me with a maximum depth of 2" but for some reason that 2inch box recommended earlier sticks out 1/8" from the face of the wall.

So, are you saying I have to cut 2 gang holes in my wall for every outlet I need to replace?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts