DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
retired framer
59,896 Posts
If 2 doors are next to each other. Can the king stud be shared or do I need 2 king studs for each door. Rather do this than shrink a door.
Figure out how you are going to trim the doors first. Normally would have the two studs for each and space between for a light switch box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trim is usually 2 1/4 inches I believe. I will have a 32" RH door on the left and a 32" LH on the right. The light switches will go where the latch is, not near the shared king stud. I hope that makes sense

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am assuming the inside trim may be an issue as i build the perpendicular wall I would then need to cut the trim from the sheetrock. Didn't think of that. So I guess I will have to have 2 king studs. But just for my own knowledge is sharing a king stud allowed?

·
retired framer
59,896 Posts
I am assuming the inside trim may be an issue as i build the perpendicular wall I would then need to cut the trim from the sheetrock. Didn't think of that. So I guess I will have to have 2 king studs. But just for my own knowledge is sharing a king stud allowed?
On a non bearing wall, anything goes. On a bearing wall, depending on load but they often get shared between windows.

The tricky one is when you have an inside corner on both sides, then if needed we cheat the one behind the door.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.