DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to add a doorbell in my basement. I already have one upstairs.
The issue I'm having is that I can't wrap my head around the wiring because the transformer is in the basement.

The Transformer is a Tri voltage
8V 16VA
16V 30VA
24V 30VA

I've attached 1 photo "ORIGINAL" showing how it was hooked up originally and the "NEW" photo is the only way I can get both bells to ring but thats only by connecting to the 24V 30VA pins of the transformer, if I use the 16V 30VA the bells don't sound right.

Both bells are rated 16V 10VA and there is a lighted button that I'm sure which I'm sure will blow with that much voltage.

Can anyone help me out on how to wire this properly?

Thanks

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,120 Posts
Connect the new bell to the terminals of the original bell. Make sure the transformer has the VA rating to handle 2 bells.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Your diagram show the two bells wired in series,
this is wrong ! (and why it does not sound right).
The two bells need to be wired in parrallel.

If you do not understand series and parrallel ?
then google it, once you understand the difference,
then it will all become clear why it doesnt work properly.

:glasses:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hooking it up to 24v in series is the only way it does work. When I connect it in parallel 16v the bell downstairs rings with no button press. I'm having a hard time because I'm working at the transformer not BELL 1 so I'm not seeing how the hook up should work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.