DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Well, my current span is 22.5" and it wouldn't change if I hung a new header or? Not sure what my roof material is. My roof is 5/12 22.5 degree pitch. The rafters are 2x4s. What is a structural ridge? My storage expectations are minimal. I'm not planning on putting a lot up there.
Which way do the rafters run? Parallel to the door opening or perpendicular to it.
If the gable is above the door, the roof load will be different, than if the gable is over the adjacent wall.

Your buddy is mistaken, that a couple of 2X12's will be adequate for the span.
As previously mentioned it will require a engineered beam!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Which way do the rafters run? Parallel to the door opening or perpendicular to it.
If the gable is above the door, the roof load will be different, than if the gable is over the adjacent wall.

Your buddy is mistaken, that a couple of 2X12's will be adequate for the span.
As previously mentioned it will require a engineered beam!
Hi Wildie. The rafters run both parallel and perpendicular. They run parallel on the left and right walls, and perpendicular at the garage door side and the opposite side (man door entrance). What is a gable?

JP

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Are the rafters and joists landing on the wall with the doors? or on the side walls?

That will have a great impact on your header size requirements.

Go to a local lumber yard with all the information and a sketch. They will apply local codes to see what you need for a header.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hi Wildie. The rafters run both parallel and perpendicular. They run parallel on the left and right walls, and perpendicular at the garage door side and the opposite side (man door entrance). What is a gable?

JP
That means that the rafters will land onto the beam! The entire roof load will have to be supported by the beam.
Thats why the original builder chose two doors with a center column.
If you have snow in the winter, snow load will have to be considered, also!
A gable is the 'wall' section that closes in the space between the roof's. In your case, it is where the side walls extend up to the peak!
If your rafters rested on the side walls and the gable was above the garage door, the beam wouldn't need to be as strong!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How about a pic of the front door(s) framing from the inside & a pic of the roof from the outside ?
Ok Scuba. I took some pictures from the inside. The best I could do for now. I didn't take any of the roof from the outside because it's pretty self explanatory. It appears to be a "pyramidal" roof. A peak in the middle with 4 sides. The rafters run both parallel and perpendicular to the garage door(s). The left door is a barn door style and the right is a new standard door. What do you think? The rafter style shouldn't hinder my joist raising plan does it? Thanks!

JP

Attachments

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Interesting
Now I see why you want to raise the joists up
You have 22.5' width between the walls
A 16' door would leave you 3' 3" on either side of the door
Is there a Lumber Co nearby that can size this beam ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Interesting
Now I see why you want to raise the joists up
You have 22.5' width between the walls
A 16' door would leave you 3' 3" on either side of the door
Is there a Lumber Co nearby that can size this beam ?
Yes, I live in the city so there are plenty of options for lumber. I've never sized a beam before. How exactly does the process work? Since it's a pyramidal roof though, raising the joists won't be an issue right? Thanks!

JP

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
I basically went with my plans to have them calc the loads & beam sizes
Mine was a little different since its 3 stories

A garage just a sketch would probably work & tell them how the roof lands
Are you going to park 2 cars in the garage ?
If not I might consider a smaller door...14' wide maybe
--you could still get 2 cars in

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Your roof is a HIP roof! my garage is the same! You won't have gables on a hip roof. Only roof's with two side's will have a gable!

In my garage, what you are referring to as joists, I call them collar ties! In my garage they rest on top of the wall, and are nailed to the side of the rafters.

For the span that you are planning, you still have a load problem, although not like it would be, with a side gable roof!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I basically went with my plans to have them calc the loads & beam sizes
Mine was a little different since its 3 stories

A garage just a sketch would probably work & tell them how the roof lands
Are you going to park 2 cars in the garage ?
If not I might consider a smaller door...14' wide maybe
--you could still get 2 cars in
Ok cool. I can definitely sketch. You've probably been able to figure that out considering the amount of graphics I have posted ;). I do want to be able to park 2 cars in the garage. I like the idea of a 16' door. It will make it feel more open when the door is up. Are you sure the beam should be wood? People have been saying that it should be metal because I have a hipped roof.

JP

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Your roof is a HIP roof! my garage is the same! You won't have gables on a hip roof. Only roof's with two side's will have a gable!

In my garage, what you are referring to as joists, I call them collar ties! In my garage they rest on top of the wall, and are nailed to the side of the rafters.

For the span that you are planning, you still have a load problem, although not like it would be, with a side gable roof!

Yeah, you're joists (collar ties) are sitting on top of the top plate and connected to the rafters because that's how they're supposed to be. Mine however are not.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Ok cool. I can definitely sketch. You've probably been able to figure that out considering the amount of graphics I have posted ;). I do want to be able to park 2 cars in the garage. I like the idea of a 16' door. It will make it feel more open when the door is up. Are you sure the beam should be wood? People have been saying that it should be metal because I have a hipped roof.

JP
All of my beams are wood (LVL)...spanning approx the same distance & with greater loads

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yes, I would go with a 16' door - for resale value you want to be able to properly park two cars in there. The structural and door changes you are contemplating are very worthwhile to do, value-wise - IMHO.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
if you have a 20' wide room the space wall to wall on inside is the span 22.5" is not the span

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
if you have a 20' wide room the space wall to wall on inside is the span 22.5" is not the span
Ok I'm confused. So you're telling me that the span is from the inside of a stud on one wall to the inside of a stud on the opposite wall? Scuba correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the span was the inner edge distance between 2 studs on the same wall.

JP

21 - 40 of 44 Posts