DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here it goes. I am running a 100A sub-panel off of my 200A main panel. The Main panel is a Siemans and the sub is a homelite. My big question is how do I get the ground and neutral wires into the bars. They are too big to slide in and I don't feel comfortable with spreading the six wires across two positions. Is there a reducer that i should be using to make the install cleaner?? I am planning on having the work inspected and don't want to have a sloppy install job done. I am pretty comfortable working with electric, this is the first time I have worked with service wire and I am working in the dark. Thanks

·
Master Electrician
4,642 Posts
OK, so here it goes. I am running a 100A sub-panel off of my 200A main panel. The Main panel is a Siemans and the sub is a homelite. My big question is how do I get the ground and neutral wires into the bars. They are too big to slide in and I don't feel comfortable with spreading the six wires across two positions. Is there a reducer that i should be using to make the install cleaner?? I am planning on having the work inspected and don't want to have a sloppy install job done. I am pretty comfortable working with electric, this is the first time I have worked with service wire and I am working in the dark. Thanks
I hope you are using 2-2-2-4 four conductor cable or three conductors in metalic conduit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is 2/2/2/4 but I used Sch 80 PVC. It is only three feet from the main box. The whole point was to consolidate all of my garage and outdoor circuits in my sub-panel. It just seemed smart. If I need to change it to galvanized then I will.

·
Master Electrician
4,642 Posts
it is 2/2/2/4 but I used Sch 80 PVC. It is only three feet from the main box. The whole point was to consolidate all of my garage and outdoor circuits in my sub-panel. It just seemed smart. If I need to change it to galvanized then I will.
No need to change the setup if you have the cable.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Keep in mind that if you used #2 aluminum conductors, you can not use a 100 Amp breaker to feed your sub-panel. Table 310.16 of the Code allows 90 Amps on such a conductor, with 75 degree rating/terminations.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts

Did you run individual conductors or SER cable through the conduit?

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I used a 60 amp breaker with the thought that I could go up to 90 if it was ever necessary. Thanks
You didn't answer my question. Just curious.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
njwoodworker said:
Sorry, I used SER.
In this installation #2SER is rated for 75amps max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts