DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm curious if anyone has any experience It has been quite the experience with my first bathroom remodel (learned about tile, drywall, electrical, plumbing/sewer line, etc...). So far, we have been really happy with the results.

I'm hoping someone can point in the right direction with the plumbing connections on my bathroom remodel. Note: The house is an older 1953 house... Please reference the pics below of the current setup.

It's worth pointing out that the bathroom was rarely used due to low pressure of the faucet and toilet valve. We found the cause for the low pressure was the fixtures (bad sink faucet and bad valve in the old toilet tank - not a line issue). We are replacing everything with new parts. The water did come out brown which I believe might be tied to the galvanized nipples/valves, etc.. so any advice on replacement options is appreciated.

What is recommended to clean this all up? I'm not sure if this is DIY, or if I should hire a plumber to assist with this part. Plumbing is a bit intimidating to me, but I have enjoyed learned and I'm willing to attempt it unless its too much for a first timer. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. So I'll plan on replacing the 2 sink galvanized nipples with brass (I believe they are 3/8). I'm hopeful that after I shutoff the main water supply it will be a simple removal (hopefully). Do the elbows need to be replaced as well or should the brass nipples work fine in those connections? I've read that certain types of metal aren't compatible with each other and I'm not 100% sure what type of metal the elbows are. Also, any special fitting style for the brass to the shut-off valve? I already purchased 2 3/8 threaded shut-off valves and hoping to use them if I can, but I still have my receipt.

I will use wrench to remove the drain adapter from the cast iron. Would PVC threading be appropriate here?

Any ideas about the toilet supply line? I'm not sure if the nipple is galvanized, copper/brass... Is there any way to tell? I'm willing to open up the wall to see more if necessary.

Thanks again!:biggrin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also see that Home Depot offers a couple types of brass nipples (traditional brass and chrome plated brass). Is there any advantage over another or is it simply cosmetic.?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump. Any other suggestions? I'm getting ready to order the brass, but wanted to be sure before I placed the order. I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts