DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hack
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1960 Eljer toilet with an old school, Radiator Specialty, triple seal ball. The tank looks just like the one in this post (except dirtier).
The ball leaks pretty badly, the mechanism is a hassle to try to align, and the lever takes a lot of force to flush.

Can this be converted to a newer style of flush valve? Maybe like an Eljer Touch Flush?
Or should I just replace the ball and clean and grease its seat?

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
The old post you linked to has some pretty good suggestions. Start there. I'm sure you could still fine parts for it and fix it. But why, as mentioned, new toilets aren't that expensive.

I would opt for a newer toilet bowl. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
The bracket above the ball needs careful adjustment so the ball will naturally drop straight onto the valve seat. The example the OP shows is particulary problematic because the bracket can easily get out of adjustment sideways.

If the flush level does not pull the ball straight up then the bracket will go out of adjustment sooner.

Also in the example shown, if you try to tighten the bracket too much, the ceramic tab where it attaches to the (front wall of the) toilet tank could break and that will finalize the decision on replacing the toilet.

·
Hack
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bracket above the ball needs careful adjustment so the ball will naturally drop straight onto the valve seat. The example the OP shows is particulary problematic because the bracket can easily get out of adjustment sideways.

If the flush level does not pull the ball straight up then the bracket will go out of adjustment sooner.

Also in the example shown, if you try to tighten the bracket too much, the ceramic tab where it attaches to the (front wall of the) toilet tank could break and that will finalize the decision on replacing the toilet.
Yeah, all that hassle is why I want to replace the whole mechanism.

Ayuh,... Then maybe you should be callin' yer landlord,.....

If you were my tenant, that's what I'd want ya to do,....

I fix my rental house, Not the tenant,....
Since this seems to be a real point of confusion, it's at my cousin's house. I'm trying to do him a favor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.