DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my basement floor part of my slab foundation?

Maybe it’s a dumb question, but how else are you going to learn? My house was built in 1950. I done plenty of research at the county courthouse, and obviously at that time you didn’t have to purchase a permit to build, file plans, nor did anyone from the county come out to inspect the work before permission was granted to continue building.

So what is probably under my basement floor? What’s materials and how much?

One more question. Are foundations structured in a way that groundwater can run underneath them, or would you have to go much deeper to find water?

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,367 Posts
If you do not have a slab foundation. Your foundation walls are poured concrete or concrete masonry units. The floor is poured after the foundation is built. How close the ground water is to your foundation depends on the area you live and the time of year. The water table level fluctuates. Some foundations have pipes to move the ground waster away from the foundation.

Reactions: MissyBrown

·
Super Moderator
23,953 Posts
If you have a basement you do not have a slab foundation. A slab foundation is a slab of concrete poured on the ground with no space under it. Then the house is built on top of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How close the groundwater is to your foundation depends on the area you live and the time of year. The water table level fluctuates. Some foundations have pipes to move the ground water away from the foundation.
Insurance rating states I'm not in a flood zone, but the Saluda River is a mile behind the lot. A old creek bed ends in my neighbors back yard that runs to the river. It will fill with water once or twice a year, if is rains 3" or more.

The exterior brick walls of the house continue underground and serve as the basement walls. So on the other side of the exterior brick basement wall is underground dirt? The house is built like any other, I just have a 9' high crawl space? The brick columns (piers) in my basement support the house. If there is a diagram online to show this, I would really appreciate it, as it's hard to visualize.

There is a system of drain pipes under the concrete basement floor. All gutter downspouts on front of house, run under the house, concrete drive, and come out in the backyard. The drains in the basement floor do the same. Odd layout until I learned that's where the owner planted his garden.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.