DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to put the original sink back in my house which was my Great Grandfathers. House was built in 1912 and the old cast sink is stamped 6-14-12. The faucet handles look like a plus sign with a ball on each tip. These have a porcieln center marked H and C. I do believe that I need to remove the porcieln tops to get to the screw which holds the handles on. I can not even so much as get a razor blade started under the edge of them. The seats are good,but the rubber top-side is rotted and certain to leak. First time user of this site and think I will enjoy it. TIA

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Is there a ring around the outside center of the plus sign handle that holds the porcelain center in place and you unscrew the ring to get at the screw holding the handle on the stem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No such luck. And I do not want to do anything like hot water,cold water to get expansion and contraction. If I break one then the whole thing is for nothing. Have soaked them in WD 40 for a week also. TIA

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
There's only two different types, pry off or unscrews.
A picture may help.
100% sure your turning it the right way?
Guess it's just me but I would not spend the time to try and fix a faucet that old.
Most likely you could find an exact replacement you could get free parts for under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the help of my fantastic daughter,here are the pics. My daughter says if you copy paste these links into Internet Explorer the images should appear.

C:\Users\Greg\Desktop\20160208_214843_resized.jpg

C:\Users\Greg\Desktop\20160208_214919_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
With the help of my fantastic daughter,here are the pics. My daughter says if you copy paste these links into Internet Explorer the images should appear.

C:\Users\Greg\Desktop\20160208_214843_resized.jpg

C:\Users\Greg\Desktop\20160208_214919_resized.jpg
I think your daughter needs to try again. She should be able to attach photos from your (hers) computer directly to this thread

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Reactions: gregzoll

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Get a bigger knife. A multi-edge blade that has a knife edge, roller cleaner, works on these kind of jobs. You may have to soak the unit in a crockpot filled with water and dish washing soap, then letting them soak all day, before you can get those caps off.

The caps basically have a metal bottom on them, which can get stuck from corroding. There are places that you can get the caps from, if the metal bottom is pretty much rotted away.

http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magazine/2001/march_april/stem_faucets/index.shtml
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/install-vintage-faucet-63840.html

Faucet Depot has been online since 1996. They can help you get new caps if you need them. Also will be able to send you the correct replacement parts and instructions. If you have to redo the seats, take your time doing so. Otherwise, your work will be ruined.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/shop/Kitchen-Faucets-Handles-and-Inserts-208-1-7.asp

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
When you change the faucet washer, would the inside part with the coarse threads slip off and then the handle and stem slip out from the cap nut together?

(Don't pry it using one big screwdriver and an assortment of shims; you will warp the cap nut and damage the bearing at the apex where the stem comes out.)

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Getting those caps off, they may have to resort to use a single blade razor, or even a dental pick. I think that if they soak it for the day in a crock pot, to give it a "Pickle" Bath, which may help to loosen those caps.

http://www.nancylthamilton.com/techniques/soldering/on-pickle-crock-pots-and-baking-soda/

"Jeweler’s pickle is neither an embalming fluid nor some strange moonshine – it’s what you use to get fire scale off soldered objects. If you work with metal and use heat, a pickle pot is essential. Basically, a pickle is simply an acidic solution that removes oxidation and flux from a piece of soldered metal. Commercial jewelry pickles are available, and many jewelers choose to use various pool chemicals as more cost-effective pickles."

Information to make the "Pickle" solution. http://www.natashalh.com/tutorial-thursday-recipe-to-make-your-own-natural-jewelers-pickle/

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
You should also try Kissler for parts. Kissler is a plumbing parts company that specializes in parts for old and obsolete faucets. They also have their own machine shop where they make brass parts that can't be purchased because no one else makes them anymore.

Phone Kissler at 1-800-547-7537 and ask to speak to Doug Turner (if I recall correctly) in their old parts department. Maybe e-mail him the pictures you posted and see if he knows how to remove the handles from the cartridge and if parts are still available for that faucet.

Kissler has a $250 minimum order, but if you speak to anyone in their accounts receivable department, they'll tell you who they frequently ship to in your area, and it would then just be a matter of ordering the parts from that company and waiting for them to accumulate orders worth more than $250.

Download the Kissler faucet parts catalogue from here:
www.kissler.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While searching around on the net I came across Period Bath. They had a picture of my faucet handles with the porcielin letters intact. They showed multiple types: splinded with set screws,square with and without set screws. As mine did not have set screws,I just got physical with them and off they came with the help of a vise and small pry bar. They are a compression type fit and should go back together nicely. My oldest plumber in town said he has the seals I need he thought. Now I can put my Great Grand Fathers sink back where it was 50 or 60 years ago. I do have to make a mounting bracket yet. Thanks to all for their input and Happy Fixer Uppering to all. River Rat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.