DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1899 farmhouse in very rural Zone 5 with original beadboard walls and ceilings on first and second floors. Fiberglass batts in the attic. Blown-in insulation to exterior walls in poor condition and will be removed. No sheathing. True 2×4 studs.
For exterior walls: Removing original wood siding (much of it can be reused). How best to insulate up against the back of the beadboard interior wall? Prefer to use mineral wool batts and not spray foam. Can it go up against the back of the beadboard wall? Then add plywood or similar sheathing, house wrap, and then reattach wood siding? Any chance I could get by without sheathing? Maybe just the mineral wool, quality house wrap and return siding? Should I apply some sort of air gap? Recommendations for how best to achieve this? I'm hoping to avoid a lot of impact to the original windows by adding a lot of material to the exterior face.

Thanks for any guidance

·
Naildriver
11,787 Posts
Windows and doors will be your only problem if you add 7/16" sheathing, Tyvek, then your siding, although it may be a preferred method, and just add extensions to the windows and doors. Mineral wool batts will also be your best bet as they are vermin proof, fireproof, waterproof and mold proof, needing no vapor barrier. And since you can't effectively install a vapor barrier with the interior walls in place, it is a plus.

·
retired framer
42,789 Posts
I think it is a great idea but I would go further. Fire stop the top and bottom of the walls sheet it with a system that can be sealed from the outside and add foam to the outside with a drain plane for moisture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts