DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I opened a can of Zinsser oil-based, interior-exterior primer last weekend. I think I bought it about 18 months ago. The can is about 1/2 full. When I took the lid off, there was a clear, brown liquid floating on top. I stirred it up and it seems to be fine - the brown liquid mixed into the white primer really well and it looks okay.

The can has been stored inside the house, so it hasn't been exposed to cold temperatures.

Is it alright to use it?

Also, is there a good primer on the market that doesn't have such strong fumes? I'll be using it on interior wooden doors.

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
The brown liquid is just the "oil" in the primer. The solids have just settled to the bottom. It should be fine.

Zinsser's 123 is latex based and doesn't smell nearly as bad.

Of course, the type of primer you use depends on what you are painting. Are the doors bare wood or are they clear coated with a varnish type finish? Or, have they been painted before? If so, you may only need to scuff sand them, clean off the dust, and, repaint.

Reactions: ToolSeeker

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gymschu!

The doors haven't been painted or stained before - still bare wood.

I'm going to go pick up a can of the latex based 123. Hopefully there will be fewer fumes.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I respect Gymschu's advice and he seems very knowledgeable but we see a lot of questions such as this on these boards.I hate to waste anything and have a shop full of bits and pieces left from various jobs taking up space.I usually use most of it.It's just a matter of how long I'll be storing it.
As far as what I ask myself I will use the primer as an example.The primer cost roughly $18 a gallon.If I used it and the job went south because it was bad ,how much time and trouble will it take to remove it or clean up the project so I can go buy a new gal. at $18 and recoat it?
Just the way I look at things.That's why I usually don't store anything with a shelf life that I suspect may not be used for awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.