DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dont know where to begin, my wall has bowed in a foot and the basement foundation has sunk, and there is water running in on all sorts of places. My concrete floors have rose 6 inches in some places and the upstairs wooden floor is bowed up down the middle so i realize that i have to fix it but where do i begin

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
Based on your description, you have what sounds like serious foundation problems. You may want to start by hiring an independent soil or structural engineer to evaluate the situation, which should include a thorough, hands on investigation, and will likely require soil borings and a precise level survey of the house. You should ask for a written report, with options for repair, and a recommended repair plan.

Until you know how much settlement has occurred, where it has occurred, and how much bow there is, it would be difficult or impossible to diagnose the reason for the problem. And until you know the reason for the problem, you cannot formulate an optimal plan to perform the needed repairs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to use this 16 foot ibeam put it from the basement to the top of the first floor ceiling stick it in concrete have some one come dig the dirt up along side the house and put concrete between the stone but in the middle of all that raise the floor and put lolly columns with a huge beaM ON TOP GET THAT IN BETWEEN SOMEHOW AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL ALL COME TOGETHER

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking dig out the foundation first fix the basement walls with concrete and waterproof on the outside then regrade when thats done by putting the dirt swale away from the house

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was thinking dig out the foundation first fix the basement walls with concrete and waterproof on the outside then regrade when thats done by putting the dirt swale away from the house
you have a stacked stone foundation, it will continue to get pushed in because of the freeze thaw cycles of the most likely clay soil around the foundation, the water soaks the ground and when it freezes it pushes in the foundation wall, so untill you dig out all the dirt from around the house and put in a drain to get ride of the water, the problem will continue..and back fill with gravel or bank run...

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
A few pictures would help.
We have a couple of members that have restored some very old homes---yours sounds rather unique.

·
Registered
129 Posts
those old stone foundations have some hidden strength, when I was demoing mine it took alot to knock them over and pull out, even the ones being pushed in quit a bit...they are double stacked side by side and tied into each other, a nice bit of engineering done over 150 years ago...

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
How does anyone on this forum know what type of foundation the OPS has? There are no photos, the description in the post is minimal, the OPS has furnished no diagram. Did I miss something? How does anyone know this is a double stacked stone wall foundation? How does anyone know the cause of the failure is due to freeze thaw action? As a general rule, before recommending a solution, wouldn't it be wise to determine the facts of the situation?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.