DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to earn my Man Card by building a shed. The dimensions will be 16 x 12 on a concrete slab.

My question deals with the 16ft spanning wall(s). I'm wondering whether I should use 16ft 2x4's for the entire span(top and bottom) of the wall, or whether I should "break it up" into 2 sections of 8ft walls.

I will be building the wall on the ground and then lifting it to secure to the slab. So obviously the 16ft wall would be heavier. But I'm just wondering about the other advantages/disadvantage of each method. Is one way structurally more sound than the other? All advice welcome

Thanks for your help.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
If you're double plating the top, it doesn't matter much, either way. You can overlap the tops by four feet or so for good, rigid connections.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I would build it in one piece. Lay it out and build it on the slab, then lift it up and drop it on the bolts with assistance of a couple helpers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They both kinda right

First of all, attaboy, prebuilt sheds are for people with too much money! However, have extra help because a 16 foot 2x4 wall will flex a ton and since you really double the top plate anyway there's really no percentage in trying to find four reasonably straight 2x4x16' For your sixteen foot sidewalls you need 4) 2x4x8 pressure treated for your bottom plates 8) 2x4x8' for the top plates because you are going to stagger the joints of the two top plates by putting four-eight-four on top of eight-eight. Additionally, if you really want to erect the whole side at once you should consider attaching the bottom courses of sheathing while the wall is on the ground-a little overhang helps align the wall on the slab and the sheathing will absolutely stiffen the wall. You might want to nail a longer stud near the top of one of the center wall studs (like a kick stand) to help with the erection not going to far thing. I confess I punked out and built my 12x12 shed in 4' by 8' sections plus 2 half sections and a header for the garage door (great idea I stole from my neighbor) the stacked sections fit under the same tarp I threw over the raised walls while I experimented with trusses that would give me some loft space. It's stronger than it needs to be and 10% more material than I might have used but it'll outlast me. Good luck with yours

·
11,730 Posts
Don't forget the anchor bolt spacing. Did you lay out for 2 - 8' bottom plates (a bolt within 12" each end), if not just roto-hammer drill a hole for a wedge anchor. Remember sill sealer to keep the buggers out. Be safe, G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts