DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

16' by 13' living room. 4" cans. placement???

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
my livingroom is 16 by 13 and theres a lcdtv on the wall that is 13 and couch on opposite 13' wall. will be installing 6 4 inch recessed lights. any idea on placement? the trim will be white baffeled most likely.

i wont be using the lights for painting or stuff like that, mainly to light up the whole room and some walls. ideas?

#4 ·
Illuminance
(lux)

resi. living room, 50
Yeah.....I'm thinkin he might want more info then that :laughing:
Wire one up with a plug on it & hold them up where you may want them to see how it works lighting up the area

My 20x19 room I added 4 4" cans along one wall where there will be a bar
The rest I added rows of 6" cans about 6' apart - so 2 in a row
Only 2 rows - 4' out from the wall...then another 4' after that

Also depnds upon how bright you like it
If you will use dimmers
How many windows
etc etc

#7 ·
my room is 14.5 x 22. We put in six 6-inch cans and two ceiling fans with light kits.

We put the cans out about even with the edge of the couch -- makes good reading light and you don't cast shadows on the coffee table. Also about the same distance out in front of the entertainment center -- so you can see what's in it when you open the drawers.

The six lights are OK for general light, but if we didn't have the fans it wouldn't be enough.

#8 ·
I would put the 4 corner cans 4' from each wall and then center the other 2 on the 16' wall @ 4' out. This will put a row of 3 cans 4' apart and the row of 2 will be 5' apart with the 4 corners squared nicely with the room. Anyway thats the way I usually install them and I've never had to redo any yet.:)

#9 · (Edited)
my livingroom is 16 by 13
will be installing 6 4 inch recessed lights.
An 8'x8' room needing 65 lux can be done with one 60w incand. bulb, so a 16x13 room needs ~200w for the same level of illumination, ~30w for each of 6 lights.
Use floods to try to even out the illumination.

Regarding the link above, kitchen work areas & office lighting use 300 to 500 lux, so the lamps mentioned in the link might be a bit bright for this application.

And it turns out there's more to it than just illumination
http://books.google.com/books?id=JZ...nepage&q="fixing the light fantastic"&f=false

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.