DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my 15 amp breaker keeps popping as soon as it's reset. I tired switching the wire to another 15 amp just to see if it was the breaker but it popped instantly. I have lived in this house for 3 years and never had one breaker pop.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
What this circuit is feed to?

The reason why there are few possiblty it may cause the breaker to trip very fast before you keep resetting it will destory the cable so with that circuit that affected unplug every thing off 100% first then try to reset if that still trip then you have to investage if something short out like in attic some critter will chew on the cable.

Otherwise did you put up a picture hanger or drive a nail into something ??

Merci.
Marc

·
Registered
589 Posts
as mentioned. it's an electrical connection "short" from the hot wire (blk) to either neutral (wht) ground (bare or grn) or other grounded conductor. this causes excessive current causing the breaker to trip. the breaker is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - protect the wire from overheating/melting insulation/fire trucks. even if the cb resets at this point, i would not trust this circuit until the culprit is found and repaired. you can physically trace the romex (14/2 ?) as best you can, look for lights or receptacles that don't work. open up the boxes (***). your looking for signs of a short - blackened wires, loose wires, bad connections.

***don't do this if you are not comfortable around electricity. get help if needed.

·
Super Moderator
22,061 Posts
Open every box on the circuit and inspect it. You may find a loose connection that has melted a wire nut and is now shorting to the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts