DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
The 90 degree rating for NM is for derating purposes only. It cannot be used at 90 degree ratings. The terminal it connects to are not 90 degree rated.

Reactions: rjniles

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
The 90 degree rating for NM is for derating purposes only. It cannot be used at 90 degree ratings. The terminals it connects to are not 90 degree rated.

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
With that said....14g can carry a lot more current than 15a. If you're using 90 degC wire....quite a bit more.

Agree.
Although 14 gauge is clearly not up to code for 20 amps, I wouldn't exactly classify it "dangerous". There is a lot of overkill and safety margin built into the wiring code

·
Registered
997 Posts
The 90 degree rating for NM is for derating purposes only. It cannot be used at 90 degree ratings. The terminals it connects to are not 90 degree rated.
yes it can be used in 90C, a lot of fixture needs 90C rated wires because they have 90C rated terminals or use high temp wires inside

·
retired framer
38,853 Posts
Agree.
Although 14 gauge is clearly not up to code for 20 amps, I wouldn't exactly classify it "dangerous". There is a lot of overkill and safety margin built into the wiring code
I think it is safer just to say it is dangerous, too many people would love to hear it is OK and that could be dangerous. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Agree.

Applying qualifiers to code violations seems misguided. It’s not allowed by code. Suggesting mythical safety margins as a basis for discretionary interpretation seems even more misguided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are applications where 14 AWG can be used as 20A wire, but it never applies to NM cable, 14 AWG switch legs are not allowed on 20A circuits, if 14 has been used then the circuit breaker must be 15A.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts