DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving light switches to another wall and these are hooked up to an outlet box so it is hooked up with 14-3 wire. I am removing the outlet box so now what do I do with the red wire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is existing construction and I cant get to the light fixtures. I can't cap it at the light fixture location. Now what? Do I have to rewire the fixture? I am assuming that the red wire is hooked up to the black at the fixture.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
First of all, if you plan to bury electrical junctions in the wall, you can't. All junctions need to be accessible via a blank cover plate or similar.

That being said, how can you not get to the light fixture wiring? You probably need to remove the fixture to do so.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
secutanudu said:
First of all, if you plan to bury electrical junctions in the wall, you can't. All junctions need to be accessible via a blank cover plate or similar.

That being said, how can you not get to the light fixture wiring? You probably need to remove the fixture to do so.
:yes: give a hoot; don't bury junctions. :yes:

Give us some more info and we'll try to help.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
What are you doing with the other wires that accompanied the red wire? You will need a junction box with exposed cover where you splice onto the black and white wires and in that box you can cap off just the one end of the red wire. Don't cut off a loose wire; someone might want to use it 50 years from now.

The old outlet box, left there, can be the junction box.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
bury a junction box, what? I just am going to remove a outlet box.
You can't if you are unable to pull that other wire out of the wall from the old location. If you are able to back pull the old wire, or clip from the other end to not allow to be hooked up, you can just bury it. Personally, I would either leave a blank on the old location, or re-think this out. You can post a diagram of the the wall & floor plan in what you are trying to do, so that everyone can get a better idea of what you are attempting to do. Use Google Sketch-up for the drawings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts