DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and i've been tracing some wiring to see what's on each breaker. Few questions:

Two owners before us there was an elderly woman who had a chair lift going up the stairs. There is a 14-3 wire going to this plug on the landing on a 15 amp double pole breaker (i believe that's the term). why would they run a 14-3 on a 15amp breaker for just that? What is the benefit of the 14-3 in this case?

We have a new high efficiency furnace (60,000btu - smaller furnace). what size wire & breaker should it be on?

Thanks for the help, i'm sure i'll have more questions soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just realized i should check if the smoke detector at the top of the stairs is hard wired, because the 14-3 might be used to get power there correct?

What i wanted to do was remove the 14-3 all together and fish some 14-2 up to the stairwell plug and also power a few potlights on the same circuit. It's taking up a lot of room on the panel for what seems like one plug.

·
Registered
139 Posts
cornation71 said:
i just realized i should check if the smoke detector at the top of the stairs is hard wired, because the 14-3 might be used to get power there correct?

What i wanted to do was remove the 14-3 all together and fish some 14-2 up to the stairwell plug and also power a few potlights on the same circuit. It's taking up a lot of room on the panel for what seems like one plug.
Is it a single or duplex receptacle at the top of the stairs?

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Be careful when you take it apart it could be a MWBC I would make sure the breaker is off when digging into this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i took the plate off the receptacle and there is a black, red, white and ground as suspected. Only one 14-3 coming in, nothing going out. The red and black are each on their own screw, the white on the other side (silver) and ground is grounded. So i think i might just rip this wire right out and fish up a new 14-2 to that receptacle and also wire a few potlights on the same circuit. I'll need to be positive there is nothing else on the existing 14-3 line first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.