DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to use 240V to computer power supply. My reasoning is this computer will use a lot of power 24/7. 240V uses 1/2 the amperage as 120V. By using 240 service electrical service will be reduced by about 1/2 over 120V. Is this correct? If it is how best should I connect? Last how would I install inline fuse between outlet and computer?
EVGA Manufacturer states their PS will automatically sense 240V.
Presently 240V 30Amp service near intended use.

·
Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Watts is watts. It uses 1/2 the current but the voltage is double. It will cost the same to run it.
The only advantage is that the current will be lower so you could use smaller gauge wires to run the circuit. Unless this thing is drawing over 20 amps then there is no advantage.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,654 Posts
I am planning to use 240V to computer power supply. My reasoning is this computer will use a lot of power 24/7. 240V uses 1/2 the amperage as 120V. By using 240 service electrical service will be reduced by about 1/2 over 120V. Is this correct? If it is how best should I connect? Last how would I install inline fuse between outlet and computer?
EVGA Manufacturer states their PS will automatically sense 240V.
Presently 240V 30Amp service near intended use.
What do you mean by "electrical service"?
All you do by using 240 over 120 is reduce the size of the branch cct
conductors. Since the watts consumed remains the same, and poco's
charge by the KWxhr, there's no savings in electricity bill.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
My reasoning is this computer will use a lot of power 24/7.
How much power exactly? Plug and cord loads less than 1440 Volt-Amps are restricted to 120V circuits in a residential setting. Unless this is one monster computer (and frankly even those never actually use anywhere near their claimed power) it's not going to be permitted on a 240V circuit anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see how that can be done or how it would help. It's AC power at the outlet but it's converted to DC almost immediately. It might not be any of my business but do you plan to mine bitcoins? You don't have to answer that.
Yes, I'll be starting with 2 high speed video cards and expanding to 6GRUs. that is potentially 600+ watts. You have another idea how to run this machine cheaper?

·
Wire Chewer
3,599 Posts
You will have slightly less line losses at 240, except you now need to get a 240v UPS which is going to be harder to find in North America.

In general I don't think any gains would be worth it. Now in a large building then it would make more sense to run 240 to the PDUs from the inverters. But even then, in telecom everything is 48v. So line losses are not something big enough to worry about in a building environment. Now if you are going several km then you want higher voltage.

·
Administrator
42,251 Posts
120 volts times 5 amps equals 600 watts. 10 cents a KW, .6KW times 10 equals 6 cents.

240 volts times 2.5 amps equals 600 watts. 10 cents a KW, .6KW times 10 equals 6 cents.

If you want to save money on its operating cost, install solar power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.