DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 120v plug, 2 receptacles as usual, wires coming out of the box are 1 blk, one red, 2 white, one green. The One white AND the BLK are not even connected. What happened who knows, but someone was playing with fire for sure.

Anyone know how I should reconnect these to a double receptacle? Tie the whites together? Where do I put the red and blk?

Thanks!!

·
Naildriver
18,699 Posts
Usually the red wire indicates that the receptacle is switch controlled. Determine if that is the case. The tab between the two gold screws is broken to separate the two, making one half switched and the other half hot all the time.

Reactions: papereater

·
Super Moderator
23,995 Posts
Most likely it was a switched hot and the receptacle was half switched at one time. The red was used to carry the switch function to other receptacles in the room. Likely this is the case and the unused black and white goes to a switch box.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, this is starting to make sense. That receptacle is near the bed, where a lamp could go next to the night stand, being able to be switched on as one enters the room by the switch on the wall at the doorway.

So, the one white and one blk that are now loose should be connected to the 2 plug receptacle, right?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Second one down with the tab removed on the hot side only.
Thanks, Chand and Joed In your opinion,

1)is my receptacle the one in the middle or the far left?
2) Should I interpret the grey wires in the diagram as my white ones? AND
3)should I wrap/tie the 2 whites together, then wrap just one to the brass screw? Cuz I have 2 whites, where the diagram shows only one white.......

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,995 Posts
You have described the receptacle in the middle. The "switch loop" cable is the disconnected B&W pair.
To connect a new receptacle in the same box connect it to the same B&W that are connected to the current receptacle.

·
Super Moderator
17,342 Posts
Wires need to be spliced with an approved connector like a wire nut. Twisted and taped is not appropriate.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I believe code requires a light source that can be turned on from the switch at the door. Either a table lamp like you had, or an overhead fixture. If you sell the house, an aggressive home inspector might write that up.

·
Naildriver
18,699 Posts
My take on this is someone replaced the receptacle, saw that it didn't work as a "non switched" half and left the "always hot" wires not connected, mainly because they weren't aware that the tab needed to be broken.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My take on this is someone replaced the receptacle, saw that it didn't work as a "non switched" half and left the "always hot" wires not connected, mainly because they weren't aware that the tab needed to be broken.
And recklessly left 2 wires loose/disconnected.........in a STEEL elec box.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It worked! Thanks to all here for the support! Now last thing- so goofy how these steel elec boxes are attached to the flimsy steel/sheet metal studs (its is a condo). The steel box wiggles so bad I am afraid that when the receptacle is pushed back in and screwed on that it still wiggles way too much.

Is there any gadget or clamp that I can buy that will somehow secure this box say, to the sheet rock wall surrounding the plug? I hate to have it wiggle so bad. I suspect that when i try to plug in a light prong it will simply not even go in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts