DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First of all, I am glad to join this forum and have been browsing the forum and this seems to be a great place to familiarize myself more with inner guts of electrical and DIY world.

I've my first question for you all more experienced people.

I just got my first z-wave baseboard thermostat called Ki from Stelpro and I will receive my baseboard heater of 1000W by Friday. Until then, I am excited to at least test the z-wave part of it with my existing z-wave controller.

With low voltage thermostats in the past, I was just able to use 4 AA batteries and test them with my z-wave network. However, I can't figure out what I can do with 120V/220V baseboard heater thermostat.

Basically, I would connect a wire to line and other to load connection (baseboard heater) normally but I don't yet have baseboard heater. I guess I could calculate and use variable resistor to at least power the thermostat however I don't have right stuff with me.

As per their instruction PDF (page 14), the minimum current with resistive load is 1.25A working for load of 125W on 120V. Any suggestions to at least power up the thermostat would be appreciated. I am gonna try things based on my understanding tomorrow but would be great to get some directions from experienced people if my understanding is correct or not? Would using dummy load be a good idea here?

Thanks,
exx0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@CodeMatters thanks! ya I got couple of 200W incadescent light bulbs ordered and picking them tomorrow. I am pretty sure its gonna work. I will update how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts