DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any benefit to running 12/2 for everything? I bought a house and it seems a lot of the wiring is 12/2. Should I stick with the 12 gauge when extending to some new recessed lighting I am installing or should I jump off the existing 12 with 14 gauge (is that even legal?)?

Any help is much appeciated

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Stay what the conductor size is allready run so if you have 4.0mm² { #12 AWG } so stay with it and they will work fine with 20 amp breaker however a nice gotcha yeah you can use 15 amp breaker as well but normally I resved that for long runs only.

Do not use 2.5mm² {#14 AWG } with 4.0mm² there due they are only rated at 15 amp max.

Merci.
Marc

Reactions: Proby

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Yup, you can't run #14 wire on a 20A circuit, even if it's only for one light.

As for running all #12, I have been doing that more and more lately.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Yep you can use 15 amp breaker with 4.0mm² cable that is not a issue at all but just make a note on the breaker box what that goes.

Merci.
Marc

·
Registered
589 Posts
"Is there any benefit to running 12/2 for everything?" - you only have to keep track of one wire size for all branch ckt's, except for dedicated loads of course.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Sorry should have mentioned tn this case, the circuit is 15amp. Is it still ok to use 12 with a 15amp?
Yes, but under normal circumstances (such as not extremely long circuits) it make NO sense to use #12 on a 15A breaker. If it is all #12 use a 20A breaker.

Reactions: frenchelectrican
1 - 8 of 8 Posts