DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing some old DIY, and poorly done, wiring.

Old wiring running to the storage building, and the well pump house, was 14-2, buried about 8", tied into a 15amp GFI breaker that also supplied two bathrooms.

I'd like to remove all the old "add on" from that circuit, and add a 12-2 on a split 20 breaker that is unused, so the storage building, separate small shop, and the well pump will be on their own.

Access is easy. Do I need the new circuit to be on a GFI breaker, or can I put a 20amp GFI outlet somewhere to protect the circuit? Also, at what depth should the wiring to the out building be buried?

Thoughts?

·
Naildriver
10,613 Posts
What do you consider a "split" 20 amp breaker? What was run on 14-2 in a well pump house? Hopefully only a light bulb.

You can use 12 UF cable buried at 24", or 12 THWN wires pulled through a 1" conduit buried at 18". Ground depths will be decreased if you protect the circuit from the house's breaker panel with a GFCI breaker, but I wouldn't due to practicality. ie. digging in yard for garden, planting boxes, etc. PVC Conduit and THWN is the better solution, IMO. After you bury your cable/conduit and cover it with 6" of soil, run a full length of caution tape in the trench, then finish filling. That way if someone digs down they will encounter the yellow tape before hitting the conduit/cable.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you consider a "split" 20 amp breaker? What was run on 14-2 in a well pump house? Hopefully only a light bulb.
Meant to say a tandem breaker, and what was previously run on that 14-2 was the bathroom, well pump and the supply to the combo shop/storage building. All on that one 15amp circuit I might add.

You can use 12 UF cable buried at 24", or 12 THWN wires pulled through a 1" conduit buried at 18". Ground depths will be decreased if you protect the circuit from the house's breaker panel with a GFCI breaker, but I wouldn't due to practicality. ie. digging in yard for garden, planting boxes, etc. PVC Conduit and THWN is the better solution, IMO. After you bury your cable/conduit and cover it with 6" of soil, run a full length of caution tape in the trench, then finish filling. That way if someone digs down they will encounter the yellow tape before hitting the conduit/cable.
Most likely I'll run 12-2 UF from the house panel to each building, with a GFCI as the first outlet on each, even though the old 14-2 set up never seemed to be a problem.

Well pump (for sprinklers) will be in one building (storage one) that will only have some LED lights, and an outlet for a golf cart battery charger. and the other building (shop) will have outlets for hand tools, TV, and a small reverse cycle window unit (which was also on that old set up).

·
Naildriver
10,613 Posts
A well pump on a 15 amp breaker?? Can you verify its size? Must be a small pump. I can't conceive a well pump and golf cart battery charger not tripping on overload, a 15 amp breaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts