DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

Looking for some input as my wife and I tackle one of my first and biggest challenges.

We recently installed our own 6 foot privacy fence using PT dog eared pickets with our plan being to use the same pickets to create "trim" in the future. We live a craftsman-style home and are hoping to bring some of those elements outside.

We have a driveway that is narrow (around 11 - 12 feet) and has a slight slope (say less than 10%).

As part of the fence install, I sank a 6 x 6 x 10 in about 4 feet and used 5 bags of concrete + gravel, with my plan being to try and install an 11-or-so foot gate that would swing one way (the other side of the driveway is the house itself).

My wife are I are now a bit worried about the weight of our planned gate (wanted to use PT lumber and try to keep it close to 6 feet tall as well with some decorate trim + square holes cut).

We also planned to use at least 1 if not 2 wheels on the bottom of the gate to help with sag + distribute weight because it isn't 2 5.5 gates.

I can attach pictures later, but would anyone have any advice or comments on the feasibility of this concept?

Appreciate your help,

FenceBoi

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I have done these large gates in the past.
Can you find a source of a Metal gate frame that will allow the pickets to be added to it? And the wheel assembly should be spring loaded to allow for the slope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, jlhaslip.

I was just speaking to my wife about that idea - seems like it would be the best bet.

Leaning toward a cattle gate that has the proper coverage and building the front up for curbside appeal.

The spring-loaded point is well taken and I'll look into that.

Any concern over the weight with a single 6 x 6?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,480 Posts
Your weak point is always the hinge pin, it wears and the gate sags, drags, and finally breaks.

Use the strongest hinge that you can afford, and go to a fencing supply store, they have all the items needed, including great advice.

ED

·
Usually Confused
6,683 Posts
Your weak point is always the hinge pin, it wears and the gate sags, drags, and finally breaks.

Use the strongest hinge that you can afford, and go to a fencing supply store, they have all the items needed, including great advice.

ED
+1. Or a farm supply. You'll be needing some pretty heavy duty hardware. I prefer through-bolted hinge pins as opposed to lag. I find they stay more secure as the wood dries and nuts on both the front and back of the threads allow for better fine adjustment and re-adjustment.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I actually did something similar at my old house.

With a 12' opening in my fence line for the driveway, I bolted 2 4x4's together and put that into an hour glass shaped hole...

then, I built my gate. Now granted my gate wasnt 6' tall. it was 3' tall (to keep the dog in the yard)

I included a way to add 2 wheels to it, so it could swing in, and swing closed.

Now, the wheel closest didnt work out cause the gate would 'bind' on that wheel, so I kept just the wheel on the end. I used the 5" wheels from HF until they disntergrated, about a year, and replaced.

I bought the gate hinges at Home Depot.

Mighty Mule seems to be the de-facto gate opener as an FYI. I always meant to power my gate but never did

1 - 7 of 7 Posts