DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mom has a small house with 100 amp service. She added air conditioning about 10 yrs ago and now is being told she needs 200 amp service. When the air conditioner comes on no lights flicker and no appliances short out. Does she need 200 amp service?

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
The proper way to determine a service size is to perform a demand load calculation.

Who is telling her she needs to upgrade and what criteria are they using?

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
Who told her and why did they tell her that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More information for 100 amp vs 200 amp service

Thank you both for your reply. My Sister's boyfriend is an electrician and he told us that. He said that her lights probably flicker when the air conditioner is turned on. To my knowledge he didn't do a demand load calculation.

How is the demand load calculation done? Do you just add the amp ratings of the items connected to the breaker panel?

My Mom's house is probably 1000 sq ft estimate. My home is 2400 sq ft and has 200 amp service. I thought a smaller house would demand less.

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
A demand load calculation takes into consideration the square footage of the house and the loads applied by the appliances, heating, air conditioning etc.

I doubt your mom needs an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Unless there is not an issue, a coming addition to the electric load, or other addititive factor - the current 100a serive is likely fine.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
sister's boyfriend wants some money. Is he a licensed Electrician who does this work for a living? Journeyman, Master?
Yup, the dude is talkin' out of his butt. He is trying to impress you guys with his vast electrical knowledge.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Thank you both for your reply. My Sister's boyfriend is an electrician and he told us that. He said that her lights probably flicker when the air conditioner is turned on. To my knowledge he didn't do a demand load calculation.
Why did the subject even come up?
Or is Speedy right:
He is trying to impress you guys with his vast electrical knowledge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. My Mom's house needs some maintenance done before we put it on the market to be sold. She is older and my Sister and I don't want her living alone anymore. This is why this issue came up.

I had a bad feeling in my gutt about the reasons why he was pushing the electrical issue. I am not a licensed electrician, but I have enough common sense to know when I am being had. He has since backed off and I think I found a good guy to tackle all the maintenance that needs done.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
If she has an electric water heate and it comes on at the same time the air conditioning is on and she also has something baking in the oven then there could be dimming and flickering. But using just a few thhings at a time the 100 amp service will still work.

Yes a 100 amp service in a house needing a 200 amp service can detract from resale value.

fOR PLUG IN AIR CONDITIONING iT IS NOT legally mandatory TO GET A PERMIT OR UPGRADE THE PANEL unless you are overloading things due to usage.
anyone got a quick caps lock fixiner without retyping it?

·
7,829 Posts
anyone got a quick caps lock fixiner without retyping it?
No, but I have a keyboard key re-mapper to get RID of capslock completely. :thumbsup:

I turned mine into another tab key.

·
Registered
701 Posts
He may not be the villain everyone is making him out to be. 200 amp service is pretty standard these days and when it comes to selling her house, 100 amp service may be perceived as a shortcoming by potential buyers. That said, it's not *that* much of a shortcoming and money put into upgrading other parts of the house, such as the bathrooms or the kitchen, or a nice coat of paint will have a larger ROI in terms of sale price.

Professionals often have idealized notions of what is "standard" in their area. Dental hygenists would have you flossing three times a day if they had their way. Pest control experts would have you pull out every shrub around your house and surround it with a 3' concrete apron (no joke, I had one suggest that to me once). So just because he thinks she needs to heavy up is not a sign that he is some money grubbing scoundrel. Not by itself at least :)

·
7,829 Posts
He may not be the villain everyone is making him out to be. 200 amp service is pretty standard these days and when it comes to selling her house, 100 amp service may be perceived as a shortcoming by potential buyers.
Who said anything about her selling the house? The situation is existing. The A/C is existing (10 years old according to the OP). There are no existing problems (according to the OP).
The only thing new it seems is the boyfriend. :whistling2:

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
Who said anything about her selling the house? The situation is existing. The A/C is existing (10 years old according to the OP). There are no existing problems (according to the OP).
The only thing new it seems is the boyfriend. :whistling2:
Come on Petey, you know some HI is going to say the panel looks overloaded and needs to be upgraded. Then there is the HO that thinks they need it and want a price reduction even when shown the facts that 100 amps is adequate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts