DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

10 Ground Wire In 4 Gang Box Crimp Question

846 Views 22 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  seharper
Good morning all,

I have a 4 gang box plastic and a need to connect 10, 14 awg ground wires. Red wire nuts are max 6, 14 awg wires and if I understand correctly for CA code each device has to have its own ground so I cant daisy chain ground from switch 1 to switch 4 then to main ground branch?

Whats ideal way to connect the grounds together? Can / Should I use a greenie and terminate all 6 romex wires together with 1 longer wire to then wire nut / join 4 pigtails from the switches?

Devices / wires:
1) power in 14/2
2) outside lights 14/2
3) front porch 14/2
4) entry light 14/2
5) 3 way 14/3 out to 2nd switch
6) power out 14/2

Forgive the sloppy art, trying to plan the termination for rough-in inspection before I start.
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Floor plan

Thought it best create a new post but link to old post with some relevant info 4 Gang Box Wiring / Crimping Question
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,747 Posts
have a 4 gang box plastic and a need to connect 10, 14 awg ground wires.

Is the box metal? If so, you don't need to wire grounds to the switches. They'll pick ground up automagically by way of the mounting screws.

Most 4-gang steel boxes have something like 8 ground screws on the metal box, so each ground wire from a cable gets its own screw.

Is the box not metal? Well, now you know that for next time.

· Registered
7,747 Posts
If you can get a UL Listed version of one of those, that'd be great. I know they make Push connectors as many as 8 spaces.

Wait. Did you say GROUNDS?

You know, you could just buy an accessory ground bar intended for a service panel. They're like $6. Some of them are even listed for 2 grounds per hole.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts