DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
That's smart, to do a little each day!
We each had our tasks growing up, usually, according to preference. Gravy, dressing. oyster casserole, etc. It makes for quick preparation on the holiday & kids that can cook.馃槉

Registered
We are having turkey, stuffing, potatoes, fruit salad, corn, gluten free popovers, cranberries, and gluten free raspberry pie. The stuffing will be cooked in the crock pot. My wife can鈥檛 have gluten, so it can鈥檛 contaminate the turkey.

Reactions: Startingover

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that a pumpkin pie or a sweet potato pie?
Today I am making making the turkey stock. I have the turkey wings and a turkey back and root vegetables roasting in the oven. Once done, I will use all for a very rich stock.
Sounds good!

Pumpkin. Puffy Right out of the oven but then flatten down to look more like Pumpkin pie. You鈥檙e like me doing as much as you can ahead of time.

Here鈥檚 a hint an elderly aunt told me her mother told her. If you freeze leftover turkey freeze it in broth it taste fresher that way. I鈥檝e done that before and it works.

Registered
Our son and his family were available yesterday (Sunday before Thanksgiving) so we had our dinner. It was great and today I get the much coveted leftovers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our son and his family were available yesterday (Sunday before Thanksgiving) so we had our dinner. It was great and today I get the much coveted leftovers.
Isn鈥檛 it great how everyone enjoys Thanksgiving so much. It鈥檚 such a good time of year. Back when there were 18 of us we always talked about what we wanted for xmas, at Thanksgiving. I got a 5 lb Turkey breast for 2 of us. Tettrizini is first thing I make with leftover turkey.

Registered
Here鈥檚 a hint an elderly aunt told me her mother told her. If you freeze leftover turkey freeze it in broth it taste fresher that way. I鈥檝e done that before and it works.
I need to try that. But in most cases the turkey is all gone by Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I have a problem I think. I assumed I had sage and poultry seasoning in the fridge (yes all dry spices go into the fridge).
When I made the stock yesterday I realized I did not have sage and the poultry seasoning may be so old its not going to taste right? I did not get any at the store when I was there. Pickings were slim enough that day and I am concerned there may be none available.

Isn鈥檛 it great how everyone enjoys Thanksgiving so much. It鈥檚 such a good time of year. Back when there were 18 of us we always talked about what we wanted for xmas, at Thanksgiving. I got a 5 lb Turkey breast for 2 of us. Tettrizini is first thing I make with leftover turkey.
I prefer Thanksgiving much more than the commercialized christmas. Thursday is all about family and food. Christmas is all about gifts. It is no doubt the most expensive time of the year. We do have family again come christmas and that part is cool. But the cost of christmas makes me nauseous.
My wife was raised JW and had no christmas growing up. She is making up for her childhood.

Registered
Yea, eggnog. I like the store bought stuff. I have been avoiding it because it is calorie laden, but this week I am going to get some. And the rolled cinnamon buns that get separated and baked. They are a holiday morning standard in our house.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, eggnog. I like the store bought stuff. I have been avoiding it because it is calorie laden, but this week I am going to get some. And the rolled cinnamon buns that get separated and baked. They are a holiday morning standard in our house.
Yum cinnamon buns. I get the 鈥榣ow fat鈥 eggnog and only find it at Publix.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best laid plans鈥︹
Tree limb on daughters roof. We used 8鈥 ladder and my pole saw. Cut thru the limb partly and blade got pinched (stuck) in the cut. Its out but something happened to my back. I鈥檒l be lucky to cook my portion of TG dinner. Glad I started early.

Registered
stuffing,
What gluten-free stuffing do you use?
Is Northerner 'stuffing' & Southerner 'dressing'? I read a piece on it last year but forgot.
I say both.

Popular word, though. . .
I use a dressing for a wound
I put dressing on a salad
I finish dressing before I go out, I hope
I make giblet dressing for a turkey..馃槃

Registered
I just put our pumpkin pie in the oven. Standard pumpkin pie with Libby's canned pumpkin but I used a P芒te Bris茅e for the crust. First time I've made that so no idea how it will turn out. No pics. Think I might make another in a short while adding a couple Tablespoons of bourbon to the filling mix.

Registered
P芒te Bris茅e dough is 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup butter, 2 T lard and 1/2 t salt, 5T water. Mix with fingers and rest refrigerated 2 to 36 hours.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just put our pumpkin pie in the oven. Standard pumpkin pie with Libby's canned pumpkin but I used a P芒te Bris茅e for the crust. First time I've made that so no idea how it will turn out. No pics. Think I might make another in a short while adding a couple Tablespoons of bourbon to the filling mix.
When I was 20 yo, grandma told me 鈥渦se Libbys an never use anything else鈥

Registered
I鈥檒l try this but I don鈥檛 have lard. Last time I asked for it in store the girl said, 鈥渨hat鈥檚 that?鈥
In the store one brand I see all the time is Armour Manteca. However there are others. Its not cheap either. But since I don't use it for deep frying its on my list. If it was cheap I would not use anything else for frying and deep frying. I was sold one time years ago when I had french fries deep fried in lard.
Substitute crisco for lard.
You can, but its not the same.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts