DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on how to best pull a 4 6ga feeder wires for a hot tub from the breaker box in my garage through the exterior wall. My 200A panel is recessed into the wall in the garage so it is flush. The meter box is directly on the back of this on the exterior side of the garage, so I can't punch a hole through the back of the panel to come through the wall to a pull box. Easiest path is to exit the bottom of the breaker box (sides have studs on them), but in a 2x6 wall cavity I am not left with enough room to fit a curved 1" elbow fitting. If I did that, it would leave the box on the outside floating about 2" from the wall. Is there another type of fitting suitable for in-wall concealment that has a lower profile? Seems there are limited options for 1" conduit, most of them converting to liquid tite conduit.

Options I can think of are:

• I could run a few feet of NM cable in the wall cavity and then convert to THHN in a junction box on the outside of the garage, but it seems like an unnecessary connection with some heavy gauge wire.
  • I could run a short section of armored conduit from the panel to a squeeze clamp that would connect to the conduit box via thread connectors
  • Drop down from the bottom of the panel with PVC and then use a 90deg sweep fitting to go to the side (stay in wall cavity) and then out the back of the garage (through about 6 studs) and into an LB conduit box. Photos of my panel and meter box attached.

Thanks for any thoughts

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
It looks like the top of the panel is above the meter. You could then go out of the top end thru the back and take the conduit over and down around the meter.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,437 Posts
I do not know where you live. Where I live the ground conductor must be continuous from service to pool/spa. NO Splices

You should call a pro before you purchase materials that may not be approved by the local authority.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the top of the panel is above the meter. You could then go out of the top end thru the back and take the conduit over and down around the meter.
I considered that, but I thought it might look a little cludged together or sloppy. Since the meter and main panel are the same width, I would have to put some extra elbows on there to get around the meter. I wish it was allowed to run a few wires through the meter box like a junction box....plenty of room in there to accomodate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not know where you live. Where I live the ground conductor must be continuous from service to pool/spa. NO Splices

You should call a pro before you purchase materials that may not be approved by the local authority.
I live in MN. I've talked to the local inspector already and have a pretty good idea what they will allow. The inspectors in my city have been very good - very open to questions on code etc. I just dont think it should be their responsibility to field questions on the most efficient way to do something when they all meet code. Those antics are my problem :)

Good thought on the continuous ground though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts