DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a hose crimping machine. This machine has a contactor that engages the motor hums and get warm , but will not start. I have uploaded some photo's so you can get an idea what the machine looks like and what the capacitors look like. Please help. Thanks, Ted

Attachments

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
Did you test or replace those capacitors? :huh:

That is the first thing I would do.... :whistling2:

·
Registered
334 Posts
First thing to do is replace that start capacitor unless you know it's good. It might be the picture but it looks like there is some bulging toward the bottom. Even if not that's still the place to start. Start cap is the black one BTW

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Could be a heck of a lot of things causing it to humm...are you sure it isn't frozen due to load and can't start. Can you make sure all linkage and that is free and not binding the motor?

Is this machine second hand? Looks like it is in a pick-up bed and that capacitor looks like a replacement.

Did you ever see it run and operate properly?

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
What is the voltage of the motor? That capacitor doesn't look right to me.

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
A single phase motor that hums, gets warm, but fails to start does so for one of 4 reasons.

1) The start capacitor is bad. In your case, it's the black plastic one. The metal one is the run capacitor. If the run capacitor is bad, the motor will start, but fail to deliver rated HP. If you can't test it, just replace it. A Grainger # 4CU47 will work. It lists for $7.35.

2) The shaft is locked up. If it turns by hand, then this isn't the problem.

3) The start switch has failed. This switch is inside the motor. Unless you're experienced with the inner workings of an electric motor, this is best left to a motor shop. Parts can be hard to get, and installation can be somewhat tricky.

4) One or more of the windings is open. This can be due to mis-connection, a bad splice, a loose wire inside, or it might be burned up. A simple continuity check can verify this.

If the leads are properly connected for the voltage applied, and all splices are good, then the capacitor would be my guess. Capacitors tend to go bad if they're not energized for a few years.

If a new capacitor doesn't solve the problem, I'd suspect the start switch.

Rob

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I am working on a hose crimping machine. This machine has a contactor that engages the motor hums and get warm , but will not start. I have uploaded some photo's so you can get an idea what the machine looks like and what the capacitors look like. Please help. Thanks, Ted
Do you know how to check the contactor? What type is it?. Manual or magnetic? I would check this first since it sends the power to the motor. It works just like a switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will pick up a start capacitor at Graingers Monday and let everyone know the results. The contactor is magnetic and it closes and curent is available at the motor. The motor gets warm, but won't start. Thanks. Ted

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem, the switch that controls the motor shorted out and it broke the circuit immediately. I am sure the windings are burned as I could smell it. Is there a way to repair or find new windings? The motor was brand new. I can spin the shaft and it runs just fine, if there is a starting capacitor it isn't mounted on the outside of the casing. It clicks when it spins down, so the centrifugal switch isn't the problem.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't that cap be grounded to itself and de-energized with a couple of alligator clips and an insulated screwdriver? One clip on the body of the cap (metal), one to the screwdriver then grounded to the connection terminals? Then tested with an ohm meter that would read high then sweep back to 0 if good?

They can hurt if not de energized! :whistling2:

P.S. That start relay reminds me of a booster for a compressor. If I am thinking right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts