DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm reflooring my kitchen with 12x24 ceramic tiles. I had two layers of vinyl flooring that I pulled up then used a heat gun and acetone to remove the glue and paper left. That was a bear, but i got it done. The vinyl was installed over 1/4" cement board. The joints are seemless but not taped.

Anyway, I was checking my floor for flatness with a 4' straight edge. I have a 5' line that has a gradual high spot of about 1/4". Near the wall its flat, as I get closer to the laundry room door it starts getting high, when I'm in the middle of the laundry doorway it is at its highest at 1/4". Rest of the floor is pretty flat, I don't see any other high spots after checking.

Its not on a seam, so I'm assuming it is a crowned joist. I haven't tried any corrective measures yet but I was thinking of a couple

place some screws in it to see if it flattens any
beat it into submission with hammer and 2x4
sand it down with a belt sander (messy)
Or try to float thinset where the hump is to avoid lippage

Any input would be appreciated

· JUSTA MEMBER
20,371 Posts
Is there any way to look at the joist itself, from below decks?

There may be a loose floorboard, allowing this rise to occur.

If so some long framing nails might pull it back down.

Have you checked it for different elevation with a heavy weight nearby, maybe pushing the rise down?

ED

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to get to that joist, i would need to remove alot of vinyl soffit material. My house is on pilings and the whole ground level has a vinyl ceiling. I'm not sure what all is involved with that.

I know that when I walk on the spot, I dont hear any squeaks or detect any give in the floor. I'm definitely going to try some fasteners before I do anything else to it.

· JUSTA MEMBER
20,371 Posts
Well, to get to that joist, i would need to remove alot of vinyl soffit material. My house is on pilings and the whole ground level has a vinyl ceiling. I'm not sure what all is involved with that.

I know that when I walk on the spot, I dont hear any squeaks or detect any give in the floor. I'm definitely going to try some fasteners before I do anything else to it.
Maybe you could get one of those SEE-SNAKE tools, a fiber-optic camera thing, to look in the area without removing that soffit material.

You would need to make a tiny crack in it to allow the lighted business end access to that area, then view on the screen along the joist to see what is there.

ED

· retired framer
72,447 Posts
I've also thought about cutting out the backer board in that spot, maybe about 4" x 5' pece and filling the area level with thinset
It is not hard to open vinyl soffet, the fix would be to partially cut the high crown and make it settle flat and sister a new on the side. There is no guarantee that, that is the problem

I like your idea of removing some cement board and level with mortar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.