DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing my basement and have decided on using 1" EPS + OSB. The EPS has a compressive strength of 10 psi and I'm concerned if 1/2" OSB is sufficiently strong to prevent a bouncy floor. I'd go with 5/8 but it's 80% more expensive.

Has anyone used this method in the past and can share their thoughts? FWIW the basement slab is very flat.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
5/8 T&G costs more because it is worth more and is made to be a floor.
And when left out in the rain it does not swell to twice it's size like regular OSB does.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
He is insulating the slab, that being what the eps is for. And I too would use advantec. It is heavier than osb....but makes a much more solid floor.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
How are you doing this? Are you installing sleepers to fasten the OSB?
Are you planning on carpet, vinyl or some wood plank floor?
Personally I would use 3/4" material over sleepers. That will give you enough rigidity for anything you want to do....even a piano or a home gym.
In time the EPS can compress if you do not have a rigid enough sub-floor on top of it.
The point loads of furniture can be much more than you realize.
But it's your floor and your $$$.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
He is insulating the slab, that being what the eps is for. And I too would use advantec. It is heavier than osb....but makes a much more solid floor.
I wonder how much it helps, my floor is 55 degrees with out it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be using Advantech, not regular OSB.
Unfortunately, I dont have access to Advantech where I live

I'm curious why you need a subfloor on a slab.
Good question. My thinking is the EPS does not have enough compressive strength for my choice of flooring (LVP). Although, I guess I could buy a high compressive strength XPS and forgo the OSB.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
Unfortunately, I dont have access to Advantech where I live

Good question. My thinking is the EPS does not have enough compressive strength for my choice of flooring (LVP). Although, I guess I could buy a high compressive strength XPS and forgo the OSB.
Are you using LVP because it is good with water?

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
Have you looked at Dricore R+ or similar products

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Without trying to offend you, it appears that cost is more of an issue than the finished product. Be careful you don't skimp on what is needed and be less than satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Pad and carpet works for me. I guess I've never seen a subfloor in a basement but you may have some situation that justifies it. If it's just for the cold slab, throw down a carpet remnant over a quality pad for a test.

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
Mainly, yes. We've purchased it already

Yes, but it's more than double the cost compared to rigid foam plus 1/2" OSB

Products that look like OSB but are made for floor like Adventech can handle the water, OSB can not, it will swell up and distort the floor if is absorbs much water. It kind of defeats the reason for going for LVP.
This is the fear every one here has. I am sure the 1/2 will work, just want you to understand. Even fresh from the store in a bundle some OSB do not have the constant thickness you would like for a floor. So look at it carefully while it is still in the pile.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,658 Posts
I agree, 1/2 OSB is absolutely a crappy choice for subfloor, or underlayment.
Aside from the moisture issues already discussed, the compression strength is not constant. In the traffic areas the mat'l will compress unevenly causing the LVP floor to fail. It will come apart at the seems or possibly even break. You might want to check the floor MFG's requirements for subfloor and underlayment.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,501 Posts
If you are trying to have "warmer" floors a dimpled plastic will do the same thing as the insulation board, and perform better with weight. You should be using T&G plywood and anchoring the ply to the concrete will keep it from pulling away, but not compressing, so don't do it. You can buy rolls instead of the $$$ prefab squares.

If you are using LVP because of ongoing basement water problems (vs. spilled on top of) that needs to be addressed first.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Without trying to offend you, it appears that cost is more of an issue than the finished product. Be careful you don't skimp on what is needed and be less than satisfied with the result.
No offense taken. Cost vs quality is always a balancing act. I should've mentioned that I have a few sheets of 1/2" left over from a previous project.

I think I'll try the 1/2" and lay down a second layer if the first does not provide enough support

Pad and carpet works for me. I guess I've never seen a subfloor in a basement but you may have some situation that justifies it. If it's just for the cold slab, throw down a carpet remnant over a quality pad for a test.
We've already purchased the LVP and my wife hates carpet

·
retired framer
44,288 Posts
No offense taken. Cost vs quality is always a balancing act. I should've mentioned that I have a few sheets of 1/2" left over from a previous project.

I think I'll try the 1/2" and lay down a second layer if the first does not provide enough support

We've already purchased the LVP and my wife hates carpet
You must be glad you asked, but you did ask. So after everyone with experience is saying it is not a good plan you are going with it anyway.

Why did you ask?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts