How To Square Up A Foundation Like A Pro - How To Guides - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > How To Guides

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

How to square up a foundation like a pro

How to square a foundation like a pro.
fermented is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 474

Holly crap .... not sure about this one, seems like a lot of work.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #3

How so? there is nothing different when it comes to the fact that you have to take a couple of measurements and snap lines. It's square the first time and every time. Easy as pie and you don't need a calculator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,836

First, I break out my T square and put it on the desk. I know it's right because I checked it.
Then I lay down my paper and square it to the T square.
Then I use little pieces of tape, and tape the four corners.
Where everything starts I draw extremely light line using the T square. Then I center it using a scale ruler and mark my line.
Using my 45 degree angler/ T square I make the side lines extremely light.
Then use my scale ruler and mark my sidelines lines.
Using the T square I connect the two sidelines.

It's square every time...........
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

@ron45 "Where everything starts I draw extremely light line using the T square." There must be something wrong with your computer; I can see the lines in the video just fine. I have no idea what your talking about when you keep talking about a T square.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermented View Post
@ron45 "Where everything starts I draw extremely light line using the T square." There must be something wrong with your computer; I can see the lines in the video just fine. I have no idea what your talking about when you keep talking about a T square.
go and see a T square https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=t+square
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #7

@del schilser I know what a T square is. I don't know what it has to do with squaring up a foundation.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,330

Huh? Ok, I zoned out a few minutes into the video, but 10 minutes?

Admittedly, I'm old school, but:
1A) Use the largest multiple of 3-4-5 that will fit to check the square of all four corners. When corners are square and opposing sides are equal, the layout is square. OR;
1B) Sequentially designate corners A thru D, then measure across opposing corners (AC and BD). When the two measurements are equal and the lengths of all sides are equal, the layout is square.
2) If necessary, make adjustments and return to Step 1.
For a rough check, remember that the diagonal of any square equals approximately 1.4 times a side.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

@GrayHair I know how to do it the way you describe along with most everyone else. This is a different way that you might want to try. To quote one comment to the video:

" I have never seen anything like your method...It makes sense. I like it! That man who taught it to you was smart, and thought outside of the box. Sometimes I get so stuck in how we have done it in the past. Love learning new tricks, thanks, Dusty."
Old 07-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,836

Okay.....

Since you were doing this on paper, and not in the field. I decided to tell you how I do it on paper.

Your method is not smart unless you mean sting.

I suggest you go out in the field and try it both ways, then come back and let us know the result.

If all the pieces are cut exact, you could just simply use a framing square, even if you make a bigger one, thus maybe using the 3-4-5 method as Gray Hair suggested....
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #11

@ron45 The title is h "Your method is not smart unless you mean sting." I have no idea what that means "The title is how to square up a foundation like a pro" not how to sketch up a foundation like a pro. I didn't think that it would be necessary to explain that in the video.
The reason I didn't demonstrate doing it in the field is because I'm retired and don't have a foundation to do it on. I've mostly framed houses for 40 years. I did the 345 method the first ten and the last 30 I've used the method shown in the video because it is far superior. I've framed hundreds of houses, barns, garages, etc. and this method was the fastest easiest and most accurate. No fooling around with adjusting your marks because the diagonals were not equal. It's good first time, every time.
I would love to hear why you think it wouldn't work. I'll guarantee you that you can come up with any scenario you want and I can demonstrate to you how it will always work.

Last edited by fermented; 07-22-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #12
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I figured out your method---and will try it out ---It is a simple method of finding the center of the opposite paralel wall (or line)
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #13

@oh'mike "It is a simple method of finding the center of the opposite paralel wall (or line)" Yes, I does find the center, but that's not the purpose. The purpose is to create a perfect square.
Let me know how it works for you.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #14
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

How can it NOT work---so simple --why didn't I think of doing it?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #15

@OhMike "How can it NOT work---so simple --why didn't I think of doing it?" I don't know' I've never come across any one that uses it. It's nice to hear from someone that understands the simplicity of the method instead of discounting it, because it's not the way they've always done it.
Ron45 says: "Your method is not smart unless you mean sting." I have no idea what he's talking about, do you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
foundation , framing , new construction , square