How To Measure A House's Square Footage. - How To Guides - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > How To Guides

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree44Likes

Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

How to measure a house's square footage.

We're getting ready to sell our house and want to be able to truthfully represent the size of our house. On the county assessor's web site the square footage of our house is 2,089 finished. We had been told when we purchased that the house was 2300 square feet. I've measured each room including our bonus room (all areas which are heated and air conditioned) and come up with just under 2100 square feet. If we include the attached 2-car garage square footage then we're at a total of 2,585 square feet.

My question is Do we base the price per square foot on 2,089 or 2,585?
dg152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 236

Re: How to measure a house's square footage.

Around here they measure the outside to determine square footage. They aren't supposed to count garage unless it was converted to living space? Also not supposed to count the basement unless it's a walkout.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 70

I'd go with the tax assessor's number.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,202

Around here also, I believe its outside of foundation.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Around here itís outside measurements.

Retired guy from Southern Manitoba, Canada.
660catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 24,222

Here we would measure the whole building outside and then the outside of the garage.

Then we might advertise 2500 including a 400 SF garage.
lenaitch and Mike Milam like this.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 10

While accurately representing the size of the house - I assume you will be describing individual room dimensions as well - I can't say I've ever seen a house that is priced by its square dimensions. There are a number of factors in considering the listing price of a house in a given market area.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Tom153 like this.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
While accurately representing the size of the house - I assume you will be describing individual room dimensions as well - I can't say I've ever seen a house that is priced by its square dimensions. There are a number of factors in considering the listing price of a house in a given market area.
Here in the Bluegrass (Kentucky) all houses are represented by square footage. No individual room measurements are given.

As an aside, the realtors all use camera lens to make the rooms look bigger than they are. Of course if someone in interested in the house they will see actual rooms. That seems like it should not be allowed. I guess since everyone knows they do that it's not a big deal.
lenaitch likes this.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
Here in the Bluegrass (Kentucky) all houses are represented by square footage. No individual room measurements are given.

As an aside, the realtors all use camera lens to make the rooms look bigger than they are. Of course if someone in interested in the house they will see actual rooms. That seems like it should not be allowed. I guess since everyone knows they do that it's not a big deal.

I'm not sure if the OP is using an agent/listing service or is going it alone. Here, listings show overall area plus each room's dimensions, lot dimensions and a bunch of other categories (build year, waste and water system, heat source, etc.). Listing photos, perhaps even a walk-through video and drone footage are almost standard as well. Most realtors job this part out. I never thought wider angle lenses. I can't say I've ever one that was obviously distorted ('fisheye') but if it was subtle I probably wouldn't notice. I suppose they would say they're just trying to get the whole room in the shot.
Mike Milam likes this.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 464

Apropos of nothing (sorta) a guy I knew said he had a three story house. I was familiar with the part of town he lived in and there was nothing that big on his street. Just one and two story houses. Well, turns out he had a two story- but was counting the basement as a story. The worst part was, he was an Arthur Anderson accountant...
Fman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,802

Go with what the TAX MAN says it is, they want every dime that they can legally take from you ( the homeowner), to rent your own property, and what they say goes.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
...Well, turns out he had a two story- but was counting the basement as a story. The worst part was, he was an Arthur Anderson accountant...
Our company wanted to build a new three-story office building. The story I got was that town zoning rules, and insurance costs, made that prohibitive. So they built it such that they could push dirt up against two sides of the first floor, and call it a 2-story building with a basement.

I've seen wide-angle lenses used in interior photos. Sometimes you just can't stand far enough back to take in enough of the room to get a good idea what it looks like in real life. A total "fish-eye" look is distracting, but most cell phones have a wider angle option which looks OK and conveys more information than a narrow shot would.
Mike Milam likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #13
retired painter

Rewards Points: 556

Locally the sq footage goes by the exterior dimensions , minus the garage. Basements are only included if they are finished. If the 2nd floor is smaller than the 1st, only the floor footage would be included.
de-nagorg likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 7,247

There's some argument about the correct way to do it. Years ago the generally accepted norm was gross exterior measurements.

For your purposes I would simply quote the PVA number in writing with full attribution. Xxx square feet per PVA office. It is the number that most appraisers will use in determining value. Should you disagree with the PVA you can always say 'the PVA office calls it xxx but my personal measurements say is more / less'.

If I quoted any number for the garage I would say 'Garage interior measures out to xxxx square feet'. That number is never included in the homes square footage.
Mike Milam likes this.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,802

https://www.diychatroom.com/members/colbyt-218964/

Pva?

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Navane1 (10-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement