How Many Folks Use The Energy Saving Bulbs? - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 04-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 40
Smile

How many folks use the energy saving bulbs?

I like the idea of if I leave a light on overnight they also stay cooler than the regular bulbs.

I have no spotlights on the exterior, I suppose this may create an issue for some.
sheikhmohammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Re: How many folks use the energy saving bulbs?

Definitely use an LED if you are going to be leaving a light on for extended periods of time.

Is the exterior spotlight the light that are leaving on? Have you considered a motion sensor light?
add50317 and jazzycatdances like this.
Bret86844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

recently did a overhaul of my condo, changed ALL fixtures, went to
majority led, just a few cfl. got all of them in the 5k to 6k "daylight"
spectrum. . . .nice! Then swapped out all the exterior bulbs also.
no more yellowish light ! electric bill did go down!
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 107

Almost all my lamps have been CFL or LED for 20 years. At 15 to 18 cents a kilowatt hour you learn to save wherever you can
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 944

I've slowly been converting our house to LED and I'd say I'm about 90% there. It's hard to tell how much the bill went down, because the electric company keeps raising rates it seems, but that math works and I should be saving.

I actually just went back and looked over the last 6 years and it's stayed pretty much the same, BUT the tough thing to figure is my kids are getting older, thus probably using more electricity, I installed a submersible pump for yard, one of the new digital electric meters(which I think are way better at detecting phantom power items), etc...

The thing that sold me is our dining room is smack in the middle of the living space and thus it is the one room that someone is almost always in or around. The light in this room is almost always the first on and last off during the day. Add to the fact I work out of the house, I figure it's on from about 7am to 11pm. It's a 10 bulb 40w per bulb chandelier. With traditional bulbs that's 400w burning for 16 hours per day. A quick figure shows just changing those to LED converted that light from 400w to 48w, which should be a savings of about $15-17 per month.

For the most part very few other lights are on that much, but it would stand to reason I should be saving about $20-$40 per month.

Most of our bulbs are candelabra base and visible, so it's generally been hard for me to find ones that look nice and last. I spent the better part of a year to year and half slowly buying bulbs for the dining room. At $15 a pop, I wasn't going all in, so I'd buy some as incandescent bulbs burnt out. The brand I started buying didn't last, but were under 5yr warranty, so I'd return and replace return and replace. I've luckily found other brands and have been having better luck. Not sure if it is my dimmers or what but they were supposedly dimable. problem is I have old house so when I had it rewired I went back with a lot of push button (old school style) switches and those in a dimmer style are $50-75 each so I wasn't replacing them!

My suggestion is learn to keep receipts. I scan them to a folder on PC and have started taking a small sharpy and dating and location of purchase on the bulb along with years of warranty.

It's an interesting battle, but I'm not too worried if the kids leave a light on any longer!!!
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,140

There is one incandescent bulb in my house.....the oven. Everything else is CFL or LED.

My house is now twice the size it was 6 years ago and my electric bill is no more now than then. And this is with 3 TV's, 4 Kindles, two home computers...and a lot more lights.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 58

there are constantly LED sales at the box stores in canada where you can pick up bulbs for $1-$2, so it's not super expensive to swap out all the incandescent bulbs. we've kept three - one in the oven, and the two in our night table lamps. i just kind of prefer the warm yellow color and the way they gradually turn on/turn off. i got some warm LED bulbs but they don't cut it in my opinion.
dsec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 6

We changed all our bulbs to energy efficient ones a couple of years ago, and our electricity bill dropped a lot after that.
AmyHufston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I use only LED bulbs, and for the exterior I put in place some motion sensors.
speedtechlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
I've slowly been converting our house to LED and I'd say I'm about 90% there. It's hard to tell how much the bill went down, because the electric company keeps raising rates it seems, but that math works and I should be saving.

I actually just went back and looked over the last 6 years and it's stayed pretty much the same, BUT the tough thing to figure is my kids beds are getting older, thus probably using more electricity, I installed a submersible pump for yard, one of the new digital electric meters(which I think are way better at detecting phantom power items), etc...

The thing that sold me is our dining room is smack in the middle of the living space and thus it is the one room that someone is almost always in or around. The light in this room is almost always the first on and last off during the day. Add to the fact I work out of the house, I figure it's on from about 7am to 11pm. It's a 10 bulb 40w per bulb chandelier. With traditional bulbs that's 400w burning for 16 hours per day. A quick figure shows just changing those to LED converted that light from 400w to 48w, which should be a savings of about $15-17 per month.

For the most part very few other lights are on that much, but it would stand to reason I should be saving about $20-$40 per month.

Most of our bulbs are candelabra base and visible, so it's generally been hard for me to find ones that look nice and last. I spent the better part of a year to year and half slowly buying bulbs for the dining room. At $15 a pop, I wasn't going all in, so I'd buy some as incandescent bulbs burnt out. The brand I started buying didn't last, but were under 5yr warranty, so I'd return and replace return and replace. I've luckily found other brands and have been having better luck. Not sure if it is my dimmers or what but they were supposedly dimable. problem is I have old house so when I had it rewired I went back with a lot of push button (old school style) switches and those in a dimmer style are $50-75 each so I wasn't replacing them!

My suggestion is learn to keep receipts. I scan them to a folder on PC and have started taking a small sharpy and dating and location of purchase on the bulb along with years of warranty.

It's an interesting battle, but I'm not too worried if the kids leave a light on any longer!!!
Made a similar switch to LEDS - all smart bulbs in our house, Do not regret it.
crackedactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:35 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,536

My house is all LED now except for the outdoor parking light which is sodium halide. I'm still not satisfied with the (high) price of good quality outdoor LED parking lights. The sodium halide bulbs (150 watt) throw an awful lot of light and to match that with LED I'd probably have to spend about $500 bucks.... the price is still too high
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,896

I have been changing out the old bulbs whenever they burn out.

Just be aware that if you have a light in a closet or a lamp or whatever that you use very sparingly, you'll never get your "investment" in LEDs back for those fixtures. My local Wal-DOH!-Mart still sells incandescent bulbs 4/88 cents.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,191

I have always hated CFL's, but have a couple. Most the others are LED, and I'm switching over when the incandescent burns out, a LED goes in. There are a few specialty bulbs that I still have in stock.

I also have a few smart bulbs, but don't really like paying that much for a bulb.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 176

We mostly use LED bulbs now. Especially since Dollar Tree offered a mix of 60/40 Watt equivalent bulbs for $1. And the local Habitat for Humanity ReStores have a nice selection of LEDs to retrofit almost any light including canisters and floods for a nominal price.
RustNeverSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
That's exactly where I'm at. About 90% LED. My electricity bill is no higher than it was 10 years ago, and I am contemplating installing a gas water heater. That would lower my bill significantly.

I like the light of the LEDs far more than CFLs.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement