Garage Has No Wall Insulation... Wanting To Cool It Before The REAL Summer Heat - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By House Designer

Old 04-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Garage has no wall insulation... Wanting to cool it before the REAL Summer heat

Hi,

Just found out after a water heater flood that my garage has zero insulation in its walls. It has a good amount in the attic ceiling, but the walls are hollow. I live in SoCal and the space has been almost unusable in the Summer past 90 degrees. Because this space is becoming more used, I'm wondering what I can do to help this. Attic radiant barrier, blown-in insulation ???

Thanks
(and yes, those are my clay roof tiles laying on the rafters )

20' x 20' space
Two small screened windows
Side access w/security screened door
Two 52' ceiling fans
Attached Thumbnails
Garage has no wall insulation... Wanting to cool it before the REAL Summer heat-garage-1.jpg   Garage has no wall insulation... Wanting to cool it before the REAL Summer heat-garage-2.jpg   Garage has no wall insulation... Wanting to cool it before the REAL Summer heat-garage-3.jpg  
jonathanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,598

Re: Garage has no wall insulation... Wanting to cool it before the REAL Summer heat

Never gets to freezing I take it?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #3

Re: Garage has no wall insulation... Wanting to cool it before the REAL Summer heat

Nope... getting warmer though as the years go by
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,598

Yep. Wall insulation, radiant on the underside of the rafters to (hopefully a vented roof), insulation on the attic floor.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks... yeah the roof is a European design built for ventilation. Doesn't work that well though in the Summer. If I went the Radiant Barrier route, I'd leave a gap near the top so the heat could radiate out. Wall insulation would have to be blown in from the outside. Sounds like I'm on the right path.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 236

Unless you are planning to add HVAC, I don't think insulating the walls will have any effect on lowering the temperatures in your garage. The attic insulation should be keeping the attic heat from moving downward, so just ensure that you have adequate attic ventilation. As for the garage space, if it gets hotter than the ambient temperature, just open windows and doors and use fans.
House Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Thanks, you make a good point. The contractor said I had to tear out the existing drywall to add insulation due to horizontal fire-blocks in the construction. That's not happening soon. I'll add the radiant barrier, some larger ceiling fans, insulation in the opened areas and stop there.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,658

Have you thought about a whole house style fan?

Would need sufficient attic ventilation as well as have make-up air.

Cool the place down at night with the fan, seal it up during the day.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 56

There are portable options to cool down the garage. Opening the garage door welcomes a big breath of fresh air. You can also add powerful portable fans or a dehumidifier. Building a low- tech swamp cooler is a good option too. Or you can install a portable air conditioner.
rmoore853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,006

Just insulate the walls 1st. See how that works.

Do you live in an area where forest fires are an issue? If the answer is no then a big ole gable end vent would help let some of the heat out of the attic.

Roof vents in a forest fire prone area can be bad news... it's a great place for embers to enter the structure.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 22

Some of the recent model ductless and/or zone A/C units are very efficient so that may be worth investigating the cost/benefit for temp moderation in that space. Two cents.
NeoHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement