Door Sweep On Hollow Door? - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By hkstroud

Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Door Sweep on Hollow Door?

A few months ago, my gas/electric utilities conducted an Energy Audit and they installed lots of insulation and sealed leaks all over the house, including installing a doorsweep in the door that goes to the garage. This is a hollow panel door, and the screws they used to install it came out after about a week. Just not enough purchase to hold it. The sweep really does scrape the floor, and so maybe they set it too low. Anyway, I'd like to see if I can get it to stay on. I was thinking of Liquid Nails and some clamps, but I suspect that may not hold it either. Any ideas on how to seal such doors? A different kind of threshold, perhaps? Thanks.
Nellie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 536

Re: Door Sweep on Hollow Door?

The bottom inch or so of a hollow core door has solid wood between the veneers. That said, a hollow core door shouldn't be used between the house and the garage - it doesn't meet fire code.
joecaption and Dave Sal like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
That said, a hollow core door shouldn't be used between the house and the garage - it doesn't meet fire code.

I was thinking along the same lines. I would treat a garage door leading into a house as an exterior door. If someone managed to break into the garage you don't want the door to be flimsy enough to kick in easily. Best to have a strong solid core exterior door.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,944

Solid core doors are 1 3/4" thick. Really heavy to work with. I thought I remembered 1 3/8 solid core slabs but no more. Fire code says thinner and solid is fine but can't find them. Or foam filled steel sheetmetal doors.
You can drill more holes in the sweep they used and use short screws that thread all the way to head. Also last few turns by hand until you feel it's snug. Also check the sweep. They don't have to be tight against the threashold. Just touching and most of the air gap covered. It's impossible anyway without the kind of doors on a ship.
Or drill new holes lower where there is solid frame. It's about within 1 inch from the edge. Older doors could be thicker. Don't use glue or such. It could destroy the door if/when you want to replace the sweep. BTW, is the door 80" or was the bottom cut?
The image is the kind I use. Homedepot brand was actually the one with softest bottom flaps. I remove the seal on bottom side unless the door gap is too much. Put some caulk there and don't use the door until it sets.
Attached Images

Last edited by carpdad; 06-06-2019 at 06:50 PM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,548

While all that has been said about the door between the garage and the house being a fire rated door is correct that doesn't answer your question or solve your problem.

Quote:
The sweep really does scrape the floor, and so maybe they set it too low.
That is correct.
You are not likely to get any type of sweep to work for you unless you can take the door down and replace the material inside the bottom of the door.
Quote:
A different kind of threshold, perhaps?
The type shown below with an adjustable rubber seal is probably best for you. Should be able to find at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Attached Images

MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 06-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,944

That kind of threshold height is set by how much the rubber curves up. Often, there isn't enough gap and some people are cutting the door! OP: you can keep the door you have. All depends on if/when the town inspector sees it (such as if you plan to sell the house) and your sense of keeping up with alarming sense of protections. It is your house.
Whatever the type of weather seal the installer gave you, you can change it, such as drilling more holes, to suit what you want. My best guess is that if the screws are coming loose, the seal is dragging too much and more fasteners needed. If that doesn't work (work in progress), then the door can't hold screws. As you suggest, then glue such as goop or construction glue should work, but won't be able to remove the seal or correct novice mistakes.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement