Dog In The House - Green Home Improvement - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Green Home Improvement

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree15Likes

Old 04-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 98

Dog in the house

I'm curious how you deal with dogs in the house during work done by others that will need access to a lot of area for a week.
I have a company replacing A/C (central with outside compressor), furnace (moving to garage from inside closet), and water heater change to
tankless (to move it over so there's room for the furnace there.) New ducting and one additional duct/vent. It's a small house - 930sqft.
I'll be home until about 1pm during the time each day. They'll lock up after that.
I have almost nothing material of value to steal here, except for power tools, which I'll look to do something with.

It's estimated it will take 4-5 days. Each day I'll be gone from about 1:30pm and on.

What would you, as a home owner, do with your pooch during that time?
And what would you, as a person doing the HVAC/WH work expect to be done with him?
He's a great pooch, but really doesn't like other people in his house.

I'm taking him to mom's for the week - he's good there, and the people doing the work are then good, and no worries on doors left open, bites, etc...

But I'm curious what others do, and what the expections are for people doing the work are as well.

My thoughts... take him to a good place that I trust he'll be well.
And that then lets the people doing the work focus on doing a really good job on it, without my pooch barking at them and distracting them.
And no worries on leaving things with them to lock up after they leave.

I'm also interested in horror stories gone wrong, though.
I've had a couple times that people left my side gates open, and my pooch got out with only one more house length to go before he was to a
very busy street. That could end very badly.

I feel it's on the HO to make sure things are good in this area now.
But I also feel like there needs to be more awareness on the service provider side (HVAC, plumber, electrical, gas, termite tenters, etc...) to
so that they close up anything they opened up while there. If they don't have pets, they don't seem to realize the importance on this for those that do.

Any thoughts on this?

It seems pretty common sense to me. But I've had 3 incidents in the past 6 months where service providors didn't think in this way.
And I've only had 3 times when I had service providors/quoters out where it mattered, so it's not looking good.
And all three times, gates were left open, and once I didn't even know they were to be there (gas company.)

Sorry if this sounds like a rant.
I'm looking more for how you go about these things, or expect things to happen on the HO side as well as on the SP side.
But, yeah... end of rant :-)

Last edited by gthomson; 04-19-2019 at 06:25 PM.
gthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,478

Re: Dog in the house

I recently visited a house that was under construction. In one room was set up basically 4 walls of fencing. Contactor explained to that is where the owner puts his puppy when he comes to visit. (owner lived basically next door, so I guess he visited often --- not sure why he couldn't simply leave the puppy at home)
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 472

Iím supposed to be retired but I still run a few calls during the week. My dog goes pretty much wherever I go. Of course I canít bring him in the customers but he stays in the truck. Roll all the windows down, open the sunroof and back window. It actually stays pretty cool. Sometimes Iíll leave it run. He comes to the office too. I did have someone deliver materials once to the house and was having vinyl siding put up on the barn. Well they left the gate open and the horse got out. Nothing really happened but I wasnít real pleased
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,930

20- some years ago, the POCO meter reader was out , reading meters.

Parked his truck in my drive, entered my fenced yard, read mine, left the gate open and walked a couple hundred yards over to the neighbors to read theirs.

He got back and I was standing in front of his truck with a lecture about closing gates after using them, He got mad, and went over and kicked mt gate closed, except it has to be closed by lifting the latch, so he had to do it again.

I told him that I was displeased with his attitude and was reporting him to his supervisor.

He left in a huff, I called POCO, told them my story, turns out he had called his supervisor too.

Supervisor came out, looked the situation over, said that I was totally right, and that he had little dogs too, and wanted his gates closed at all times too.

Next day, I had a new RF meter that they can read from a half mile away, no extra charge, so the meter reader never has to come in my yard again.

Used to have to confine the little ones in a bedroom with a closed door, when there was a furnace installer, or plumber at the water heater.

But now that they are all buried in my private pet cemetery, there is no need.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,672

Quote:
He... really doesn't like other people in his house
I quit reading at that point. The dog will need to be kept somewhere away from the workers. Whether that's not even in the house in the first place is your call.
DoomsDave likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,026

Situations can be different, I've done paint touch up where the dog/cat was allowed to run free while I worked and there were no issues but generally they just get in the way. Most folks with either put them in a cage or a room that has nothing to do with the work being done.

Yrs ago I had to touch up some repairs on a new condo. The super told me I'd have to come back another day because the lady had a cat that didn't like men. I promptly gave him a hard time for being scared of a little ol cat .... so we went in and I started touching up the walls when I heard a commotion. He was in the next room defending himself with a broom. We had to leave and I had to make a special trip across town to do 10-15 minutes of painting after the cat was secured in another room.
de-nagorg and BayouRunner like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
gthomson (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,048

I understand busy streets and dangers to the pets, and can't offer much more than has been given. Protect your animals and, for liability purposes, protect your workers.

We are fortunate in that we live off the beaten path and back up to the Chattahoochee National Forest, where there is NOTHING. When we have large installations we know the dogs are hankering to run, so we just let them out and they venture up the mountains for an hour or so, then they return home and lay down exhausted and don't bother people. They have a dog door, so they can access the house if they want.
de-nagorg and gthomson like this.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
I quit reading at that point. The dog will need to be kept somewhere away from the workers. Whether that's not even in the house in the first place is your call.
I totally agree with this one.
With the work being done, they'll be all over this place.
I'm taking him to mom's house for the week.
He's not vicious and has never bit any one as far as I know, but he was living under a bridge at 2yo, so anybody's guess what happened before.
He's a happy pooch -
But he's very protective of his castle here.
It's not in the best interest of any of us - me, Chipper my pooch, and/or the people doing the work, to think he should be here next week.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
they just get in the way.
That's what I was thinking.
I want the people focused on doing a good job, not on dealing with outside distractions - my pooch.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,930

Good for you, adopting him from a life under a bridge.

It shows that you are a compassionate person, with a golden heart.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,932

Yeah if you're not going to be there to keep your pups under your eyes and pooch from underfoot (and out of the paint trays) I'd put them somewhere. Our dogs were kennel trained and never minded being sent to their boxes. Used to amuse me because they were so used to it that I'd always know when the mailman was dropping off a package as all three dogs would get up, stretch, and flop in their kennels when they heard the truck in the driveway heh
de-nagorg likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,487

I always confine mine when workers need to be in the house. They don't want or need the distraction.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 472

Dog in the house

I went on a service call and my son and daughter were with me. Both In thirties. The lady had a dog and it bit my son on the back of the leg. Punctured skin, really nothing serious. He needed something else from the back of the truck. We had spoke to her about the dog biting but she was in complete denial. When he went back I handed him a heavy flashlight. Told him to womp him on the head if the dog came near again. My daughter and I both laughed when we heard the yelp. He got what we needed and we moved on. She wasnít concerned about the dog at all. Itís best to put him up. People really donít know what their dogs will do when they are not there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
de-nagorg likes this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,580

Okay.

Dogs are territorial. But they're still dogs and "dumb animals" and you can't reason with them.

You love them, and they love you, oh yeah.

I had the friendliest dog on Earth, and it was clear that not everyone wanted to be licked skinless by her.

Want the work done? Please confine the dogs. Some of the workers may be allergic (to dog hair as well to ivory teeth). Nothing personal to the owner or the dogs.

I mean, if the dog bites, dear god. Dear god. Whoa, that dog looks nasty, ain't comin'.

That some of you tried anyway, is a tribute to - something. Maybe tenacity?

THAT SAID, I've locked horns with those who disagree, and who can't get the work done.
de-nagorg likes this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,932

Yeah and do keep in mind, it's not worth the risk either. Some places if your dog bites anyone they put it to sleep...
de-nagorg likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement